1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Cubic Polynomials

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I think I saw another thread answer this question, but I was a little lost whilst reading it.
    I have just recently learned of the rational root theorem and was using it quite happily; figuring out what possibly answers went with cubic and quartic polynomials gave new meaning to guess and check.
    But then I realized something strange, I am aware that, because of conjugates, complex and imaginary solutions to polynomials come in pairs. I am also aware that the amount of roots in a polynomial stem from its degree. This became confusing to me when I came across an equation that was not solved using one of the roots found with the rational root theorem.
    I am confused on how it is possible for a cubic polynomial to have no rational roots, and thus, three imaginary or complex roots - even though complex and imaginary numbers must come in pairs.
    I asked my teacher, but he did not know.

2. Relevant equations

This was the equation that spurred the whole confusion:
    2x[tex]^{3}[/tex]-5x[tex]^{2}[/tex]-9x+13=0

this is a different one my teacher showed the class after I asked him about it:
    2x[tex]^{3}[/tex]-9x[tex]^{2}[/tex]-11x+8=0

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought it was as simple as a multiplicity. But that wouldn't work. I am really at a lost here.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You are confusing rational with real. Rational and irrational numbers are both real numbers. So you can have a cubic such as (x-√2)(x-√3)(x-√5)=0, the roots are not rational but all are real.

4. Jan 11, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. But that also doesn't lead to a polynomial with rational coefficients. How about (x-(-1/2+i*sqrt(3)/2))*(x-(-1/2-i*sqrt(3)/2))*(x-1)=x^3-1? If you want an even more complicated example with three real roots try https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=368349

5. Jan 11, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ooops. Forget my first example. That does have a rational root. Sorry. If you change it to x^3-2 and scale them all by 2^(1/3), then it should be ok.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook