Cubic Polynomials: Solving w/o Rational Roots

In summary, the equation has a rational root, but it is not one of the roots found with the rational root theorem.
Jack Diamond

Homework Statement

I think I saw another thread answer this question, but I was a little lost whilst reading it.
I have just recently learned of the rational root theorem and was using it quite happily; figuring out what possibly answers went with cubic and quartic polynomials gave new meaning to guess and check.
But then I realized something strange, I am aware that, because of conjugates, complex and imaginary solutions to polynomials come in pairs. I am also aware that the amount of roots in a polynomial stem from its degree. This became confusing to me when I came across an equation that was not solved using one of the roots found with the rational root theorem.
I am confused on how it is possible for a cubic polynomial to have no rational roots, and thus, three imaginary or complex roots - even though complex and imaginary numbers must come in pairs.
I asked my teacher, but he did not know.

Homework Equations

This was the equation that spurred the whole confusion:
2x[tex]^{3}[/tex]-5x[tex]^{2}[/tex]-9x+13=0

this is a different one my teacher showed the class after I asked him about it:
2x[tex]^{3}[/tex]-9x[tex]^{2}[/tex]-11x+8=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was as simple as a multiplicity. But that wouldn't work. I am really at a lost here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are confusing rational with real. Rational and irrational numbers are both real numbers. So you can have a cubic such as (x-√2)(x-√3)(x-√5)=0, the roots are not rational but all are real.

rock.freak667 said:
You are confusing rational with real. Rational and irrational numbers are both real numbers. So you can have a cubic such as (x-√2)(x-√3)(x-√5)=0, the roots are not rational but all are real.

Right. But that also doesn't lead to a polynomial with rational coefficients. How about (x-(-1/2+i*sqrt(3)/2))*(x-(-1/2-i*sqrt(3)/2))*(x-1)=x^3-1? If you want an even more complicated example with three real roots try https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=368349

Ooops. Forget my first example. That does have a rational root. Sorry. If you change it to x^3-2 and scale them all by 2^(1/3), then it should be ok.

1. What are cubic polynomials?

Cubic polynomials are algebraic expressions that contain a variable raised to the third power, also known as the cubic term. They are written in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants.

2. How do you solve cubic polynomials without rational roots?

To solve a cubic polynomial without rational roots, you can use the Cardano's method or polynomial remainder theorem. These methods involve finding the roots or factors of the polynomial through trial and error or by using a formula.

3. Why are rational roots important in solving cubic polynomials?

Rational roots are important in solving cubic polynomials because they can be easily identified and used in the rational root theorem to find potential roots of the polynomial. This makes the process of solving the polynomial more efficient and less time-consuming.

4. Can cubic polynomials have imaginary or complex roots?

Yes, cubic polynomials can have imaginary or complex roots. This happens when the polynomial has no real roots, which means that the solutions cannot be expressed as whole numbers or fractions. In such cases, the solutions involve imaginary numbers, such as the square root of -1, or complex numbers, which consist of a real part and an imaginary part.

5. How can cubic polynomials be applied in real-world problems?

Cubic polynomials can be applied in various real-world problems, such as in modeling the growth of a population, predicting the trajectory of a projectile, or analyzing the behavior of a chemical reaction. They can also be used in engineering, physics, and economics to describe and solve complex systems and equations.