1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cubic reciprocity?

1. Jan 17, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] cubic reciprocity?

I would like to prove the following conjecture:

If [tex]p \equiv 2\ (mod\ 3)[/tex] is a prime, then the cubing function [tex]x \mapsto x^3 [/tex] is a permutation of [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p [/tex].

I've tried to find a contradiction to the negation by assuming that if [tex]n \neq m\ (mod\ 3)[/tex], but [tex]n^3 \equiv m^3\ (mod\ 3)[/tex], then since [tex]m^3 - n^3 = (m-n)(m^2-mn+n^2)[/tex], we must have [tex](m^2-mn+n^2) \equiv 0\ (mod\ 3)[/tex] to avoid a contradiction concerning zero-divisors. Now I'm stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2008 #2
    what exactly you mean saying "the cubing function [tex]x \mapsto x^3 [/tex] is a permutation of [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p [/tex]"?

We know that there are [tex]2^p[/tex] permutations (sub-groups) in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p [/tex], right?

So you mean that one of these subgroups represent a cube? If yes, is the sub-group sum or product?

4. Jan 17, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would have interpreted "the cubing function [tex]x \mapsto x^3 [/tex]is a permutation of [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p [/tex]" to mean that it permutes the members of [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p [/tex]- but that's so trivial, that's probably not what's meant!

03= 0, 13= 1, 23= 2 mod 3. In fact, the cubing function is just the identity on [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p [/tex]!

5. Jan 17, 2008 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

3 isn't the only prime. :tongue:

As for the original poster... what do you know about the multiplicative structure of Z/pZ?

6. Jan 17, 2008 #5
    I thought "the cubing function [tex]x \mapsto x^3 [/tex] is a permutation of [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p [/tex]" was a pretty unambiguous statement. Maybe it would be better to say it's a "bijection [tex]\mathbb{Z}_p \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_p[/tex]".

HallsofIvy: Besides the fact that 3 is not congruent to 2 mod 3, in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_5 [/tex], [tex]2^3 \equiv 3\ (mod\ 5)[/tex] so it is not the identity.

Hurkyl: It is a group of order p-1, which is of the form 3k+1. I guess the obvious fact that springs to mind is that no element can have order 3 then by Lagrange. This means no cube can be congruent to 1 mod p (except, of course, 1). So I guess this means the kernel of the cubing map is {1} ***alarm bells ringing*** actually this map is a group homomorphism so Ker={1} implies it is injective. Of course this implies it is a bijective too.

7. Jan 17, 2008 #6
    It can be looked at a little more algebratically: If X^3 == Y^3 Mod P, then there exists an element x/y such that (x/y)^3 == 1 Mod P, which implies 3 divides the order of the group, p-1. Thus, unless x=y, P would be of the form 3k+1. (Which is about what Hello Kitty is saying)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?