Solving (v+c)^3-3vc(v+c)-(v^3+c^3)=0: What am I Missing?

• Thread starter ali PMPAINT
  • Start date
In summary: You included the formula in your first post of this thread. I gave you all three roots of unity in my previous post. Just use that formula, once for each of ##w_0, w_1, w_2##.
ali PMPAINT
Homework Statement
the answer to y^3+py+q=0
Relevant Equations
Picture

So, you can prove it by using (v+c)^3-3vc(v+c)-(v^3+c^3)=0, where v+c=y and -3vc=p and v^3+c^3=q. The problem is, when I try to solve a one, I just get one answer(it should be 3) and I don't know what the article meant by wi. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
ali PMPAINT said:
, post: 6177224, member: 661503"]
Problem Statement: the answer to y^3+py+q=0
Relevant Equations: Picture

View attachment 243310
So, you can prove it by using (v+c)^3-3vc(v+c)-(v^3+c^3)=0, where v+c=y and -3vc=p and v^3+c^3=q.
I think you have a sign error. ##-(v^3 + c^3)## should be ##+(v^3 + c^3)## according to the substitution you show
ali PMPAINT said:
The problem is, when I try to solve a one, I just get one answer(it should be 3) and I don't know what the article meant by wi. What am I missing?
It says that ##w_i## is one of the cube roots of unity (1). In polar form these are
##w_0= 1##
##w_1 = \cos(\frac {2\pi}3) + i\sin(\frac {2\pi}3)##
##w_2 = \cos(\frac {4\pi}3) + i\sin(\frac {4\pi}3)##
Notice that two of these roots are complex.
If you raise any of these to the 3rd power, you get 1.

• Informative
Likes ali PMPAINT
ali PMPAINT said:
So, you can prove it by using (v+c)^3-3vc(v+c)-(v^3+c^3)=0, where v+c=y and -3vc=p and v^3+c^3=q.
Mark44 said:
I think you have a sign error. −(v3+c3)−(v3+c3)-(v^3 + c^3) should be +(v3+c3)+(v3+c3)+(v^3 + c^3) according to the substitution you show.
... or that should say: ##\ -(v^3+c^3) = q \, . ##

Also, for the casual reader, this expression, given by OP, is an identity : ##\ (v+c)^3-3vc(v+c)-(v^3+c^3)=0\, . ##

Likes ali PMPAINT
Mark44 said:
I think you have a sign error. ##-(v^3 + c^3)## should be ##+(v^3 + c^3)## according to the substitution you show
Yes, thanks for correcting me.

Mark44 said:
It says that ##w_i## is one of the cube roots of unity (1). In polar form these are
##w_0= 1##
So, I am now familiar a lot with polar form, so if we got an answer like 1 for example, do you set it equal to e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x) ?

ali PMPAINT said:
Yes, thanks for correcting me.So, I am now familiar a lot with polar form, so if we got an answer like 1 for example, do you set it equal to e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x) ?
Here x is 0, so ##e^{i0} = \cos(0) + i\sin(0) = 1 + i0 = 1##

Mark44 said:
Yes, but what about the other two answers?
For example, how to get all solutions for x^3+2x-3=0 ?

Last edited:
ali PMPAINT said:
do you know what synthetic division is?

ali PMPAINT said:
You included the formula in your first post of this thread. I gave you all three roots of unity in my previous post. Just use that formula, once for each of ##w_0, w_1, w_2##.

ali PMPAINT said:
Mark44 said:
##w_0= 1##

So, I am now familiar a lot with polar forms, so if we got an answer like 1 for example, do you set it equal to e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x) ?
Mark44 said:
ali PMPAINT said:
You can get ##w_1## by letting x = 2π/3 in the polar form you gave, which was: e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x)

Then ##w_1 = \cos(\frac {2\pi}3) + i\sin(\frac {2\pi}3)## which is the same as ##\displaystyle e^{2\pi i / 3} ##

It then follows that ##\displaystyle {w_1}^3=\left( e^{2\pi i / 3} \right) ^3 = e^{2\pi i } =1 ##

• Informative
Likes ali PMPAINT
SammyS said:
You can get ##w_1## by letting x = 2π/3 in the polar form you gave, which was: e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x)

Then ##w_1 = \cos(\frac {2\pi}3) + i\sin(\frac {2\pi}3)## which is the same as ##\displaystyle e^{2\pi i / 3} ##

It then follows that ##\displaystyle {w_1}^3=\left( e^{2\pi i / 3} \right) ^3 = e^{2\pi i } =1 ##
Thanks, but now I'm facing another problem. When I tried to solve for x^3+2x-3=0 I got:

I calculated it with a calculator and I got 1 out of this mess(which is true). No matter what I do, I can't simplify the expresion to get 1. And, I found that the other two roots are number 2 (by both calculator and another methods), but I tried to multiply it with ##w_1 = \cos(\frac {2\pi}3) + i\sin(\frac {2\pi}3)## with one, but I got a wrong result (-1/2+i 3^(0.5)/2 ) which is wrong. Where am I making a mistake?
I am sorry if I am asking a lot, but I really want to know how to solve cubic equations by radicals.

ali PMPAINT said:
Thanks, but now I'm facing another problem. When I tried to solve for x^3+2x-3=0 I got:
View attachment 243371
I calculated it with a calculator and I got 1 out of this mess(which is true). No matter what I do, I can't simplify the expresion to get 1. And, I found that the other two roots are number 2 (by both calculator and another methods),
Yes, 1 is a solution of the equation ##x^3 + 2x - 3 = 0##, because if you replace x by 1, you get 0 = 0, which is a true statement.
However, 2 is not a solution of this equation, despite what your calculator and another method imply. The reason is that if you replace x in the equation by 2, you get ##2^3 + 2(2) - 3 = 9 \ne 0##.

Knowing that x = 1 is a solution, that means that (x - 1) is a factor of ##x^3 + 2x - 3##. If you divide the cubic polynomial by (x - 1), either by long division or by synthetic division that @StoneTemplePython mentioned, you get a quadratic polynomial that you can break down using the Quadratic Formula. The other two solutions of your equation are complex.
ali PMPAINT said:
but I tried to multiply it with ##w_1 = \cos(\frac {2\pi}3) + i\sin(\frac {2\pi}3)## with one, but I got a wrong result (-1/2+i 3^(0.5)/2 ) which is wrong. Where am I making a mistake?
I am sorry if I am asking a lot, but I really want to know how to solve cubic equations by radicals.

• Informative
Likes ali PMPAINT
ali PMPAINT said:
View attachment 243371
I calculated it with a calculator and I got 1 out of this mess(which is true). No matter what I do, I can't simplify the expresion to get 1. And, I found that the other two roots are number 2 (by both calculator and another methods), but I tried to multiply it with ##w_1 = \cos(\frac {2\pi}3) + i\sin(\frac {2\pi}3)## with one, but I got a wrong result (-1/2+i 3^(0.5)/2 ) which is wrong. Where am I making a mistake?
Yes. the above expression gives you 1 (unity).

It looks like the given expression is incorrect.
The correct results for the two complex solutions to ##x^3+2x-3=0## are ## \displaystyle x= \frac{-1 \pm i \sqrt{11}\,}{2} \,.##

A correct form for the solution to the cubic equation: ##x^3+px+q=0## is:

## \displaystyle w_k \left({\sqrt[{3}]{-{q \over 2}+{\sqrt {{q^{2} \over 4}+{p^{3} \over 27}}}}}+ w_k{\sqrt[{3}]{-{q \over 2}-{\sqrt {{q^{2} \over 4}+{p^{3} \over 27}}}} }\ \right) \ ,
\\ \displaystyle \text{where } w_k=e^{2k\pi i /3} \ .##

Note that for ##k \in \{1,\,2,\,3\,\},\ \ w_k ## is one of the three cube roots of unity.

The above may be expressed in a variety of forms.

• Informative
Likes ali PMPAINT
Oh yes, my bad, apparently I calculated the roots of x^3-3x+2=0 instead of x^3+2x-3=0 and missed the sign (don't blame me, they are too similar)
SammyS said:
A correct form for the solution to the cubic equation: ##x^3+px+q=0## is:

## \displaystyle w_k \left({\sqrt[{3}]{-{q \over 2}+{\sqrt {{q^{2} \over 4}+{p^{3} \over 27}}}}}+ w_k{\sqrt[{3}]{-{q \over 2}-{\sqrt {{q^{2} \over 4}+{p^{3} \over 27}}}} }\ \right) \ ,
\\ \displaystyle \text{where } w_k=e^{2k\pi i /3} \ .##

So, I think that I had a mistake in my proof, and it doesn't give me a correct answer for more than two answers:

Where is my mistake?

1. What is the purpose of solving (v+c)^3-3vc(v+c)-(v^3+c^3)=0?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find the values of v and c that make the equation true. This can help in understanding the relationship between the variables v and c and their effect on the overall equation.

2. Why is it important to solve this equation?

This equation may be important in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can also be used to solve real-life problems that involve variables and their relationships.

3. What are the steps involved in solving (v+c)^3-3vc(v+c)-(v^3+c^3)=0?

The steps involved in solving this equation include expanding the brackets, combining like terms, factoring, and solving for the variables v and c. It may also involve using algebraic rules and properties to simplify the equation.

4. What are some common mistakes made when solving (v+c)^3-3vc(v+c)-(v^3+c^3)=0?

Some common mistakes when solving this equation include errors in expanding the brackets, incorrect use of algebraic rules, and mistakes in factoring. It is important to double-check each step and be careful with signs and coefficients.

5. Are there any tips for solving (v+c)^3-3vc(v+c)-(v^3+c^3)=0?

Some tips for solving this equation include practicing with similar equations, checking for mistakes at each step, and using a systematic approach. It may also be helpful to break down the equation into smaller parts and solve them individually.