1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cubic Splines

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the use of cubic splines to interpolate a set of data. Suppose at some stage in the calculation we arrive at the following spline functions for two consecutive intervals

[tex]\tilde{f_{0}}[/tex] = x[tex]^{3}[/tex] + ax[tex]^{2}[/tex] + bx + c over the interval -1 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1
    [tex]\tilde{f_{1}}[/tex] = 2x[tex]^{3}[/tex] + x[tex]^{2}[/tex] - x + 4 over the interval 1 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 2

a) State the conditions that should be imposed on the two functions
    b) Hence, compute a, b and c

I'm having a bit of difficulty getting started with this question. I've managed to do Lagrangian and Newton interpolation okay, but the lecture notes covering cubic splines do not go into much detail, so I honestly have no idea what to do. If anyone can provide a bit of help then I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To be a spline the to pieces must meet smoothly. That is, you must have [itex]f_0(1)= f_1(1)[/itex], [itex]f_0'(1)= f_1'(1)[/itex], and [itex]f_0"(1)= f_1"(1)[/itex]. Those three conditions give you 3 equations to solve for a, b, and c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook