Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cuda for gfortran ?

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    Dear all,

I wish to implement some part of my codes to use the GPU of my graphic card but I have no idea whether GNU as already implemented it (as for OpenMP). I mean, there are PGI Fortran compiler which embedded CUDA but I figure it's not free.
    I also wonder if that works only with ATI graphic cards or if for instance I can use my Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2
    CUDA only works with NVIDIA graphics cards. And even then you are unlikely to see gains unless you have something reasonably modern (I'd say that GeForce 9800 is the bare minimum that you need). ATI cards have a different programming interface, which is similar but distinct. The Intel controller won't support either.

You will most likely have to code by hand, but there may be some third party computation libraries that use CUDA internally.
  4. Sep 26, 2010 #3
    Now suppose I have a ATI card, is CUDA implemented in gnu compiler (gfortran)?

5. Sep 26, 2010 #4
    I reiterate: CUDA only works with NVIDIA graphics cards. :) To my knowledge, it is not implemented in the gnu compiler. You'd have to use PGI.
  6. Sep 26, 2010 #5
    That's exactly what I was wondering.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook