Cultural Question

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

When did the Sixties end?

Answers and Replies

Certainly a long time before I was born!

January 1, 1970 :tongue:

In reality I couldn't even say I know what the culture in the 60's was like. Putting grease in your hair? :smile:

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last edited:
russ_watters
Mentor
"The '60s ended for me that day....in 1978."

-Homer

It ended for me around 1976, around the time disco started.

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It ended for me around 1976, around the time disco started.
WRIF and DREAD?

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A sentence in the preface of Rudy Rucker's Infinity and the Mind prompted me to ask this question.

"I started having ideas for it in that most Sixties of years, 1972."

On the one hand I can understand how, for some people, the Sixties extended into the seventies. Check out the clothes and hair of, for example, Dave Arnott, Stu Brown, Virginia Trimble, Catherine Cesarsky, zuma-beach-73, http://astsun.astro.virginia.edu/~rtr/photos/pasadena/ [Broken].

Gokul43201 said:
Start: Oct 4, 1957
End: July 20, 1969
On the other hand, I can understand how July 20, 1969 is a fitting end date for the Sixties.

Which Oct. 4 event?

russ_watters said:
"The '60s ended for me that day....in 1978."

-Homer
Over the last 20 years, I haven't watched much TV, and I have seen only a handdful of Simpsons episodes. Was Homer talking about a real event.

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A sentence in the preface of Rudy Rucker's Infinity and the Mind prompted me to ask this question.

"I started having ideas for it in that most Sixties of years, 1972."

On the one hand I can understand how, for some people, the Sixties extended into the seventies. Check out the clothes and hair of, for example, Dave Arnott, Stu Brown, Virginia Trimble, Catherine Cesarsky, zuma-beach-73, http://astsun.astro.virginia.edu/~rtr/photos/pasadena/ [Broken].

On the other hand, I can understand how July 20, 1969 is a fitting end date for the Sixties.

Which Oct. 4 event?

Over the last 20 years, I haven't watched much TV, and I have seen only a handdful of Simpsons episodes. Was Homer talking about a real event.
If you could understand how July 20, 1969 could be a fitting end to the sixties, then how could you not guess which Oct 4 event?

Premier of "Leave it to Beaver", of course! :rofl:

No, technologically, the 60's spanned from Sputnik to Apollo 11.

Culturally, the 60's spanned from Aug 2, 1964 (or May, 1961) to Aug 9, 1974 (or Apr 30, 1975).

when most of the losers got jobs and figured out the real world didnt work the way they wanted it to.

July 1971, after "number three" Jim Morrison passed away, following the deaths of Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix...

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How about Aug 30, 1970, on the Isle of Wight?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There are some people still living in the 60s. :biggrin:

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You do realize that physicists are a bit slower at catching up to trends right. When it comes to trends, they travel at near the speed of light. :surprised

When did the Sixties end?
April 12, 1989 the day Abbie Hoffman died. :cry:

It's all in the mind, you know.

Lucy2.JPG