Simpler Solution for Cumbersome Trig Integral?

In summary, the conversation involved solving the integral \int_{\pi/2}^{\pi/6} \sin(2x)^3\cdot \cos(3x)^2 dx which can be expressed as \left( \frac{3}{4} \right)^4. The speaker shared their method of using trigonometric formulas to simplify the expression, and also mentioned an alternate method that involves applying different formulas. Finally, they discussed a quick way to solve the integral using Wolfram Alpha.
Nebuchadnezza
So this is not an homework question, and I have solved the integral...

Just it took a lot of time and was very tiresome.

The integral

[tex] \int_{\pi/2}^{\pi/6} \sin(2x)^3\cdot \cos(3x)^2 dx[/tex]
Can be expressed on the form [itex]\Large \left( \frac{a}{b} \right)^b[/itex] where [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are integers.

Evaluate [itex]\sqrt{a^b+b^a-1}[/itex]

A quick outline on how I did it. I mainly used two formulas

[tex]\sin(A)cos(B)=\sin(A+B)+\sin(A-B)[/tex]

[tex]\sin(A)\sin(B)\sin(C)=\frac{1}{4} \left[ \sin(A+B-C) - \sin(A-B-C) + \sin(A-B+C) - \sin(A+B+C) \right][/tex]

A short outline, the steps omitted are those that take a lot of time...[tex] I = \int\limits_{\pi /6}^{\pi /2} {\sin {{\left( {2x} \right)}^3}\cos {{\left( {3x} \right)}^2}dx} [/tex]
[tex] I = \int\limits_{\pi /6}^{\pi /2} {{{\left[ {\sin \left( {2x} \right)\cos \left( {3x} \right)} \right]}^2}\sin \left( {2x} \right)dx} [/tex]
[tex] I = \frac{1}{4}\int\limits_{\pi /6}^{\pi /2} {{{\left[ {\sin \left( {2x - 3x} \right) + \sin \left( {2x + 3x} \right)} \right]}^2}\sin \left( {2x} \right)} dx [/tex]
[tex] I = \frac{1}{4}\int\limits_{\pi /6}^{\pi /2} {\left[ {\sin {{\left( x \right)}^2} - 2\sin \left( x \right)\sin \left( {5x} \right) + \sin {{\left( {5x} \right)}^2}} \right]\sin \left( {2x} \right)} dx [/tex]
[tex] I = \frac{1}{{16}}\int\limits_{\pi /6}^{\pi /2} {6\sin \left( {2x} \right) - 3\sin \left( {4x} \right) - 2\sin \left( {6x} \right) + 3\sin \left( {8x} \right) - \sin \left( {12x} \right)dx} [/tex]
[tex] I = \frac{1}{{16}}\left[ { - \frac{6}{2}\cos \left( {2x} \right) + \frac{3}{4}\cos \left( {4x} \right) + \frac{2}{6}\sin \left( {6x} \right) - \frac{3}{8}\cos \left( {8x} \right) + \cos \left( {12x} \right)} \right] + C[/tex]
[tex] I = \frac{1}{{16}}\left[ {\left( { - 3\cos \left( \pi \right) + \frac{3}{4}\cos \left( {2\pi } \right) + \frac{1}{3}\sin \left( {3\pi } \right) - \frac{3}{8}\cos \left( {4\pi } \right) + \cos \left( {6\pi } \right)} \right) - \left( { - 3\cos \left( {\frac{\pi }{3}} \right) + \frac{3}{4}\cos \left( {\frac{{2\pi }}{3}} \right) + \frac{1}{3}\sin \left( \pi \right) - \frac{3}{8}\cos \left( {\frac{{4\pi }}{3}} \right) + \cos \left( {2\pi } \right)} \right)} \right] [/tex]
[tex] I = \frac{1}{{16}}\left[ {\left( {3 + \frac{3}{4} + 0 - \frac{3}{8} + 1} \right) - \left( { - \frac{3}{2} - \frac{3}{8} + 0 + \frac{3}{8}\left( { - \frac{1}{2}} \right) + 1} \right)} \right] [/tex]
[tex] I = \frac{1}{{16}}\left[ {\left( {\frac{{35}}{8}} \right) - \left( { - \frac{{11}}{{16}}} \right)} \right] = \frac{1}{{16}}\left[ {\frac{{70 + 11}}{{16}}} \right] = \frac{{81}}{{256}} = {\left( {\frac{3}{4}} \right)^4} [/tex]
[tex] I = \int\limits_{\pi /6}^{\pi /2} {\sin {{\left( {2x} \right)}^3}\cos {{\left( {3x} \right)}^2}dx} = {\left( {\frac{3}{4}} \right)^4} [/tex]
[tex] \sqrt {{3^4} + {4^3} - 1} = \sqrt {81 + 64 - 1} = \sqrt {144} = \fbox{12} [/tex]

Step 4 to 5 took me forever to figure out. Had to "invent" the formula above, after many failed attempts at simplifying the expression.

So anyone have a simpler, easier solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
An alternate method might be to apply the formulas

[tex]\cos^2(3x)=\frac{1+\cos(6x)}{2}[/tex]

and

[tex]\sin^3(2x)=\frac{3\sin(2x)-\sin(6x)}{4}[/tex]

This has the benifit that you don't need to work with exponents. But it's probably as much calculation...

You've got a few errors in your integration. Integrating -2sin6x should be 1/3 cos6x and -sin12x should be 1/12 cos12x. The final answer seems alright surprisingly.

What is a cumbersome trigonometric integral?

A cumbersome trigonometric integral is an integral involving trigonometric functions that is difficult to solve, often requiring multiple steps and advanced techniques.

Why are cumbersome trigonometric integrals important?

Cumbersome trigonometric integrals are important because they arise frequently in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are also important in mathematics as they provide challenging problems for students to solve and help develop problem-solving skills.

What are some common techniques used to solve cumbersome trigonometric integrals?

Some common techniques used to solve cumbersome trigonometric integrals include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric identities, and partial fractions.

How do you know which technique to use when solving a cumbersome trigonometric integral?

The choice of technique depends on the specific integral and the form it is given in. It often requires experience and practice to determine the most efficient method to solve a particular integral.

What are some tips for solving cumbersome trigonometric integrals?

Some tips for solving cumbersome trigonometric integrals include identifying patterns and using trigonometric identities, simplifying the integral using algebraic manipulations, and breaking the integral into smaller, more manageable parts.