Calculating Air Pressure of Upside-Down Cup in Bathtub

• Thread starter JonasS
  • Start date
In summary, the pressure of the air inside an upside-down cup in a bathtub is equal to the pressure of the water at the air-water interface. The total force exerted on the cup is equal to the buoyant force plus the force exerted by the pressurized air inside, which is proportional to its compression. When the mouth of the cup is sealed, the volume of air inside increases and therefore the buoyant force increases. The calculations for buoyancy will change if the plastic seal is removed and the cup is submerged, as the air inside will offer an additional force on the water.
JonasS
I was looking for information on calculating buoyancy of an upside-down cup in a bathtub...

If I place a plastic cup upside-down in a bathtub and press down, the water goes up into the cup a certain distance depending on the force I press down. Does this mean that the pressure of the air in the cup is equal to the force I am pressing down with? Is there a way to calculate what the pressure of that air is depending on the force?

I was doing some kitchen physics stuff with my nephew, and I just need a pointer to the proper equations or online tutorials. I found plenty of stuff for calculating buoyancy of floating cups (or floating anything) but nothing about air pressure.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
the total force that u are exerting will be equal to the buoyant force + the force exerted by the pressurised air inside the cup. the buoyant force wil be propotional to volume of CUP(not the inside hollow),ie the priphery which is submerged in the liquid and the force exerted by the air inside will be propotional to its compression.

The pressure gradient within the air bubble will be negligible compared with the pressure gradient of the water outside the cup so, essentially, the air pressure inside the cup will be the same as the water pressure at the air-water interface.

The force you exert will be the buoyant force minus the weight of the cup.

Okay, just a little confused...

I know that the buoyant force is F=dgv but I am confused as to why I would not use the air inside the cup when calculating volume.

Let's say I use plastic wrap to seal the mouth of the cup, and perform the same experiment. Wouldn't you then use the air inside the cup when calculating average density and volume?

For example, the cup is cylindrical and is 16cm high and has a radius of 3cm. The walls of the cup are .5cm thick and it is made out of glass. The total volume is V = pi * r^2 * h = (3.1416)(9)(16) = 452.3904cm^3

I seal the mouth of the cup with plastic wrap, and push down on it until the entire cup is underwater and then hold it just under the surface. I am pressing down with:
F = dgv = (1kg/m^3)(9.80m/s^2)(4.524m^3) = 44.335N

First, do those calculations look correct? Second, why would they change if I removed the plastic seal from the cup and repeated the experiment? Would the air inside the cup offer an additional force on the water?

Thank you all for your help so far!

Jonas,

Of course, the air inside matters. My point was that the pressure of the air inside the cup is essentially uniform.

However, the air does displace water (providing the buoyant force) and height of the air column inside the cup will depend on how deeply immersed the cup is in the water. Air is compressible but water is not. When you place plastic wrap over the opening, you assure that the volume of the air inside will be greater and so the buoyant force will be greater. Otherwise, water rises inside the cup up to the point at which water and air pressure balance.

1. How is air pressure calculated in an upside-down cup in a bathtub?

The air pressure in an upside-down cup in a bathtub is calculated by using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is equal to its number of moles multiplied by its temperature and the universal gas constant, and then divided by its volume. This calculation can be simplified to P = nRT/V, where P is pressure, n is the number of moles, R is the universal gas constant, T is temperature, and V is volume.

2. What factors affect the air pressure in an upside-down cup in a bathtub?

The air pressure in an upside-down cup in a bathtub is affected by several factors, including the volume of air trapped in the cup, the temperature of the air, and the atmospheric pressure outside of the cup. Other factors such as humidity and altitude can also have an impact on the air pressure.

3. How does the water level in the bathtub affect the air pressure in an upside-down cup?

The water level in the bathtub does not directly affect the air pressure in an upside-down cup. However, as the water level rises, it can displace more air and decrease the volume of air in the cup, which can lead to an increase in air pressure. This increase in pressure can also be affected by the temperature of the air and the atmospheric pressure outside of the cup.

4. Can the air pressure in an upside-down cup in a bathtub be negative?

Yes, the air pressure in an upside-down cup in a bathtub can be negative. Negative air pressure occurs when there is a decrease in the number of moles or a decrease in the temperature of the air inside the cup. This can happen if the cup is lifted out of the water, causing the volume of air to increase and the pressure to decrease.

5. How does the shape or size of the cup affect the air pressure in a bathtub?

The shape or size of the cup does not have a significant impact on the air pressure in a bathtub. As long as the cup is sealed and the volume of air is consistent, the air pressure will be determined by the number of moles, temperature, and atmospheric pressure. However, a larger cup may have more air trapped inside, leading to a higher air pressure compared to a smaller cup with less trapped air.