1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cup product structure of the n-torus

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    I have some questions about an example in Hatcher's "Algebraic Topology". This book is freely available online at http://www.math.cornell.edu/~hatcher/AT/ATchapters.html and I have attached the relevant part. My questions are about Example 3.11 where Hatcher computes the cup product structure of the n-torus.

1) In the second paragraph of this example, Hatcher seems to take the cross product of a relative homology class [itex]\alpha[/itex] and an absolute homology class [itex]\beta[/itex]. That is, he seems to use

[tex]H^1(I,\partial I;R) \times H^n(Y;R) \to H^{n+1}(I \times Y, \partial I \times Y; R)[/tex]

But above this example he only defines cross products between absolute homology groups or between relative homology groups. So, what does [itex]\alpha \cup \beta[/itex] mean?

2) I don't understand at all why Hatcher says at the top of page 211 that [itex]\delta[/itex] is an isomorphism when restricted to the copy of [itex]H^n(Y;R)[/itex] corresponding to [itex]{0} \times Y [/itex]. I thought that [itex] \delta [/itex], the connecting homomorphism, was a rather complicated object and I don't see why that doesn't require justification...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted