1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curcuit analysis with kvl

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    2010520204116340998486115387509736.jpg

the question is to solve Vx. chegg did a kvl in the middle mesh and it turned out to be -2+Vx+8=0, i was wondering why they just ignored the 6 amp source in the kvl. i understand no voltage can be dropped across an ideal current source so why can we just skip over the 6 amp source and go to the 2 ohm resistor

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The 6 A current source and the 2 Ω resistor are in parallel, so they MUST have the same potential drop.

An ideal current source will produce any potential difference necessary in order that it maintains its specified current.

4. Oct 19, 2014 #3
    then i dont understand why the solution was showing -2. since the current is point upward, wouldn't that make the positive end on the bottom, making it +2 and not -2

5. Oct 19, 2014 #4

gneill

Current sources don't care about voltage polarity. They simply maintain the required current in the specified direction. Again, an ideal current source will produce any potential difference necessary in order that it maintains its specified current. Even if that potential change is negative in the direction of the current.

6. Oct 19, 2014 #5
    then how do we decide whether or not the 2 is positive or negative

7. Oct 19, 2014 #6

gneill

In this case, taking your "KVL walk" around the loop including the 2 Ω resistor does the trick. In the figure below, the first potential change is -2 V as you "walk" through that resistor:

Fig1.gif

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted