Cure for muscle tics - how does it work?

• Medical
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
rhody
Gold Member

OK, after two weeks on being off folic acid and using a magnesium supplement, I have had no sneezing fits, other than one today from a drippy nose, it stopped and no more fits. I will try adding folic acid again, and see if the fits come back, and stop the magnesium at the same time. It would be nice to conduct a double blind experiment and have a tablet of the same size shape of something that is benign to be 100% sure there is not some type of psychosomatic effect, but I won't be able to do this.

Funny thing happened on a plane flight home the other day, two people in front of me about 4 to 6 feet away had two or three sneezing fits, and after each one I felt the histamine levels rising, so much so that I used the lip squeeze/shake routine which suppressed it each time. I know for sure that yawning is contagious, but I never have heard of sneezing through the sudden buildup of histamine before. Has anyone ever had this happen ?

Lisa,

What you describe, persistent tics for extended periods is very weird, are you sure you were not possessed (lol) at the time ? Are you sure you were not dehydrated and did not know it ?

Rhody... :confused:

Last edited:
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

OK, after two weeks on being off folic acid and using a magnesium supplement, I have had no sneezing fits, other than one today from a drippy nose, it stopped and no more fits. I will try adding folic acid again, and see if the fits come back, and stop the magnesium at the same time. It would be nice to conduct a double blind experiment and have a tablet of the same size shape of something that is benign to be 100% sure there is not some type of psychosomatic effect, but I won't be able to do this.

Funny thing happened on a plane flight home the other day, two people in front of me about 4 to 6 feet away had two or three sneezing fits, and after each one I felt the histamine levels rising, so much so that I used the lip squeeze/shake routine which suppressed it each time. I know for sure that yawning is contagious, but I never have heard of sneezing through the sudden buildup of histamine before. Has anyone ever had this happen ?

Lisa,

What you describe, persistent tics for extended periods is very weird, are you sure you were not possessed (lol) at the time ? Are you sure you were not dehydrated and did not know it ?

Rhody... :confused:

Well, I'm very conscientious about fluid intake. I exercise often so it's always at the forefront of my mine. But I can't rule it out of course.

Possession...hmm, maybe a demon :devil: is following me around and poke-poke-poking me, haha :tongue2:.

rhody
Gold Member

Well, I'm very conscientious about fluid intake. I exercise often so it's always at the forefront of my mine. But I can't rule it out of course.

Possession...hmm, maybe a demon :devil: is following me around and poke-poke-poking me, haha :tongue2:.

No, I was referring to when you were pregnant... lol The worst cramps I ever remember is when hiking for six hours and being short on liquids, it just plain sucks. There is nothing you can do about it until you find a source of water.

Rhody...

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

No, I was referring to when you were pregnant... lol The worst cramps I ever remember is when hiking for six hours and being short on liquids, it just plain sucks. There is nothing you can do about it until you find a source of water.

Rhody...

Ah...:rofl: that's different!

I don't remember the tics being any better or worse while I was pregnant. Well that was 19 years ago, details are fuzzy now.

Great that you solved your histamine problem, btw!

rhody
Gold Member

I stayed off folic acid and added magnesium supplement for two weeks and was fine, no histamine rushes, no repeated sneezing fits. So I decided two days ago to stop taking the magnesium and start with the folic acid once again (400 IU) and the first day, major feeling of upset stomach within an hour of taking it (with food BTW), more drip and mucous buildup, no sneezing fits though.

Second day, major sneezing fits, and a feeling if a histamine rush before and after the fits, the drip is stronger as well, as is the irritation to my stomach, so much so that a thought I was going to cough up a hairball lol (figure of speech) on my way to work.

I was planning on staying on the folic acid for two weeks, and now am almost positive that the folic acid is the "root cause" of my problems, all of which have been dogging me last winter, spring, and now summer while taking this.

I don't want to suffer anymore and I will switch back to magnesium only starting tomorrow. A secondary effect from having less histamine in my system is not feeling that nice rush when listening to music or when I get excitied about an idea, but I can live with that, the "downside" far outweighs the "upside" as far as I am concerned. I hate the upset stomach, sneezing fits, and coughing and retching... (I know, this is funny, in a sick sort of way). Gak Gak...

Rhody...

P.S. (Folic acid -> leading to excess histamine production) is a contributing factor in experiencing "Musical Chills", Fuzzy's thread at least for me. Others who wish to act as human guinea pigs may want to try it and report back. I am done however, I have enough proof for my particular case.

I stayed off folic acid and added magnesium supplement for two weeks and was fine, no histamine rushes, no repeated sneezing fits. So I decided two days ago to stop taking the magnesium and start with the folic acid once again (400 IU) and the first day, major feeling of upset stomach within an hour of taking it (with food BTW), more drip and mucous buildup, no sneezing fits though.

Second day, major sneezing fits, and a feeling if a histamine rush before and after the fits, the drip is stronger as well, as is the irritation to my stomach, so much so that a thought I was going to cough up a hairball lol (figure of speech) on my way to work.

I was planning on staying on the folic acid for two weeks, and now am almost positive that the folic acid is the "root cause" of my problems, all of which have been dogging me last winter, spring, and now summer while taking this.

I don't want to suffer anymore and I will switch back to magnesium only starting tomorrow. A secondary effect from having less histamine in my system is not feeling that nice rush when listening to music or when I get excitied about an idea, but I can live with that, the "downside" far outweighs the "upside" as far as I am concerned. I hate the upset stomach, sneezing fits, and coughing and retching... (I know, this is funny, in a sick sort of way). Gak Gak...

Rhody...

P.S. (Folic acid -> leading to excess histamine production) is a contributing factor in experiencing "Musical Chills", Fuzzy's thread at least for me. Others who wish to act as human guinea pigs may want to try it and report back. I am done however, I have enough proof for my particular case.

Well, I don't sneeze enough to be a good guinea pig here, sorry. :(

I'm glad that you're calibrating your diet to better address your sneezing however, it sounds like a serious drag.