Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curie point

1. Apr 14, 2004 #1
    i am to design an experiment showing how magnetic field strength of a magnet varies with its temperature. i know i can use a hall probe to measure the field strength - but how do i vary the temperature, and ensure that this is uniform throughout the magnet?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2004 #2
    Just a thought... Your best bet might be to submerse the magnet in a non-magnetic liquid, with liquid density sufficient to "suspend the magnet" so that the liquid completely surrounds the magnet. Like an oil.
    Then heat the liquid , allowing a "stabilization" time to pass in order for the magnet to uniformly reach the temp of the dense liquid.
    Then take the hall probe measurements, with the probe on the ouside of the container.
    If the magnet is initially too far away from the outside probe, it can be moved after temp. stabilization to take the reading.
    What one might want to do in this case is to also place a pyrex stirrer rod in the container(long enough to enable you to grasp it outside of course), kind of leaning to the side, and when the temp is stabilized, gently move the stirrer to displace the magnet closer to the outside hall probe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?