Questions on Temperature and Movement - Akapink

• Thread starter akapink
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curiosity
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of temperature and its limits. The documentary mentioned that the temperature during the big bang was billions of degrees, raising the question of whether there is a limit to temperature. The participants also discussed the movement of objects at a microscopic level, with one person arguing that all objects have some level of movement due to kinetic energy. The other person agreed and added that there is no such thing as an object at absolute zero. Additionally, they mentioned that temperature is an infinite scale and that there is no limit to how much energy can be put into an object, but the speed of the object due to this energy does have a limit due to an increase in mass.
akapink
i recently watched a documentary and they said that the temperature during the big bang was billions of degrees. Could that be true? Does this mean that temperature doesent have a limit like let's say it can't go beyond a certain number? also does it have any point of minimum value ?

also i have been contradicting with some guy over a question. i told him that in every object there is movement ( at a microscopical level atlest, the atom) , even in a cup of tea or in the pillow of his bed. am i right or wrong ?

thanks, akapink

Physics news on Phys.org
akapink said:
also i have been contradicting with some guy over a question. i told him that in every object there is movement ( at a microscopical level atlest, the atom) , even in a cup of tea or in the pillow of his bed. am i right or wrong ?

thanks, akapink

You are completely correct.

At the very least, any object that is warmer than absolute zero must have some kinetic energy in it. And there is no such thing as an object that is at absolute zero.

Temperature is on an infinate scale, starting from 0K and going up infinately far. Reason being that although there is a limit to how much energy you take out of something, there is no limit to how much you can put in. However, the speed of the object due to extra Kinetic Energy/Heat Energy or whatever has an asymptote with the speed of light becuase the object's mass increases too.

I can confirm that the temperature during the big bang was estimated to be billions of degrees. This is based on observations and mathematical models of the early universe. However, it is important to note that the concept of temperature as we know it today may not have existed in the same way during the big bang. The extreme conditions of the early universe may have altered the fundamental laws of physics, including our understanding of temperature.

In terms of whether temperature has a limit, it is currently believed that there is a theoretical maximum temperature called the Planck temperature. This is estimated to be around 1.4 x 10^32 kelvin, beyond which the laws of physics as we know them break down. However, this is still a topic of ongoing research and there is much we still do not know about extreme temperatures.

Regarding your question about minimum temperature, there is a theoretical minimum temperature called absolute zero, which is 0 kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius. This is the point at which all molecular motion stops and is considered the lowest possible temperature.

As for your question about movement in objects, you are correct that even at a microscopic level, there is movement in all objects. This movement is caused by the thermal energy of the atoms and molecules that make up the object. So, in a sense, everything is constantly in motion. This is known as Brownian motion and was first observed by the scientist Robert Brown in the 19th century.

I hope this helps answer your questions and clarifies any misunderstandings about temperature and movement. Science is a continuous process of learning and discovery, so it is natural to have differing opinions and ongoing debates. Keep asking questions and seeking answers!

What is temperature?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. It is typically measured using a thermometer and is commonly expressed in units of degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit.

How does temperature affect movement?

Temperature can affect movement in various ways, depending on the type of organism or substance. In general, higher temperatures can increase the speed of movement by increasing the kinetic energy of particles, while lower temperatures can slow down movement by decreasing the kinetic energy. Extreme temperatures can also cause changes in behavior and metabolism in living organisms.

What is the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy?

The relationship between temperature and kinetic energy is direct. As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of particles also increases, and vice versa. This is because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance.

How does temperature affect the movement of gases, liquids, and solids?

Temperature affects the movement of gases, liquids, and solids differently. In gases, higher temperatures can increase the speed of particles, causing them to move faster and spread out more. In liquids, higher temperatures can also increase the speed of particles, making them move more freely and increasing the rate of diffusion. In solids, higher temperatures can cause particles to vibrate more, leading to an increase in thermal expansion and potential changes in the solid's physical properties.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are closely related but are not the same. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, while heat is a measure of the total thermal energy in a substance. In other words, temperature is a measure of how hot or cold something is, while heat is a measure of the amount of energy that is transferred from a hotter object to a colder object.