1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Curiosity question about admission -- can you get admitted without being able to afford it?

1. Mar 20, 2016 #1
    Does the university ask you if you can afford studying there before you get admitted?
    In other words can you get admitted without being able to afford it? Does they ask you if you can afford the university after being admitted or before?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2016 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Most universities assume that if you've gone through the process of applying that you've thought about how you're going to pay for it.

That said, most universities also have financial aid offices that can help you with figuring out the details, applying for scholarships, student loans, etc. if you're having trouble.

4. Mar 20, 2016 #3
    Yea
    Yeah i know but a guy that aplly just to see if he can get into but knows that he won't attend it because he can't afford it (about fin aid most universities ain't got 'em for international students) can be admitted?

5. Mar 20, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why would somebody even do this??????

6. Mar 20, 2016 #5
    Y
    That's not the point, can this be done or not?

7. Mar 20, 2016 #6

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Going through the process of applying to a university just to see whether they accept you with no intention of attending seems a little silly to me. I mean - how much spare time do you have? And isn't it a waste of other peoples' time too?

Sometimes, in order to get a student loan though, you need to demonstrate that you've been accepted at a university. So of course you can apply and then seek funding. Lots of people do this.

8. Mar 20, 2016 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yeah sure, if you want to waste money on applying there, and waste other peoples and your time, then go for it.

9. Mar 20, 2016 #8
    I'm just curious about that, however a possible motivation is proving to yourself to be capable of getting in...

10. Mar 20, 2016 #9
    Ok thanks

11. Mar 20, 2016 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is a person who needs his ego stroked, and doesn't care how much of other peoples' time he wastes. This is a person who, by applying where he does not intend to go, may prevent one other person who otherwise would have been admitted to be declines - again, just for his own ego. Does this sound like the sort of person who you'd like to be around? The sort of person who should accepted into a competitive university? Even the sort of person who should be a scientist?

In short, do you really want to be this person?

12. Mar 20, 2016 #11
    I said it was a curiosity question, never said i was going to do that...

13. Mar 20, 2016 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, so now you got an answer to a silly scenario that you would never do in the first place. I'm not sure if anybody gained anything with this thread.

14. Mar 20, 2016 #13

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I see, so instead of wasting a university's time, you wasted our time. I guess that's better. I guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted