Can Eating 100 Grams of Food Result in More than 100 Grams of Weight Gain?

In summary: If that is too difficult for you, perhaps starting off with something simpler might...In summary, the caloric content of a food item is measured by how many calories it contains.
Chitose
simple question,
please tell me if my understanding is correctly or not

-------------------

our body mass can't come form nothing, it have to come from 'food' we eat.

so,
If I'm eat 100 gram of food,
no matter how high calorie that food is, I never gain weight more than 100 gram.

correct?

--------------------

English is not my native language, sorry if I'm wrong in spelling or grammar.

Biology news on Phys.org
Depends on the caloric density of the food.

There's about 778 calories per 100 grams of human fat.

Coconut oil has 862 calories per 100 grams.

If you assumed a 98% efficiency in surplus caloric conversion, then eating 100 grams of coconut oil could result in gaining 109 grams of fat.

The answer depends on how efficiently the human body can convert ingested calories into fat - I assume this number is quite high (i.e. close to 1).

Chitose said:
simple question,
please tell me if my understanding is correctly or not

-------------------

our body mass can't come form nothing, it have to come from 'food' we eat.

so,
If I'm eat 100 gram of food,
no matter how high calorie that food is, I never gain weight more than 100 gram.

correct?

--------------------

English is not my native language, sorry if I'm wrong in spelling or grammar.

Correct!

Keep in mind that most foods you eat have considerable water and it has no caloric value. Meat is about 75% water Veggies 90% water.

Your body must use some energy just to keep going/living. That amount of energy is determined by your basal metabolism for a young male about 1500 cal.. In any given day if your basil metabolism uses 1500 cal. and you consume 2000 cal which could be about 75 grams of protein (600gms meat), 70 grams of fat and 250 grams of carbs 1500 cal off the top is used to run the biochemical machinery leaving 500 cal for activities/work and if you didn't need all of that then whatever is left over will be incorporated into tissue and thus weight gain.

Likes Evo
OmCheeto said:
Correct!
Wrong, it's the calories that matter, not the weight of the food. Bad Om.

Evo said:
Wrong, it's the calories that matter, not the weight of the food. Bad Om.
Excuse me?

Chitose said:
If I'm eat 100 gram of food, [blah blah blah], I never gain weight more than 100 gram.

Nowhere do I see mention of pooping. If you eat 100 gram of food, you will weigh 100 gram more.

Of course, there are 4 years of biology missing from the question, IMHO, that account for the difference in our answers.

Chitose, Eating 99 grams of high calorie food that don't get pooped out each time you eat 100 grams will make you very fat very fast, and you will probably die at a very young age.

OmCheeto said:
Excuse me?
Nowhere do I see mention of pooping. If you eat 100 gram of food, you will weigh 100 gram more.

Of course, there are 4 years of biology missing from the question, IMHO, that account for the difference in our answers.

Chitose, Eating 99 grams of high calorie food that don't get pooped out each time you eat 100 grams will make you very fat very fast, and you will probably die at a very young age.
AHAHAHA! You forgot evaporation through breathing and sweating, how about urination?

Believe it or not, this is not the first thread we've had about what the OP posted.

Likes OmCheeto
By "gaining weight", it seems fairly obvious that he means gaining body fat - not instantaneous gain in body weight.

Likes Ryan_m_b
Evo said:
AHAHAHA! You forgot evaporation through breathing and sweating, how about urination?
Well, no, I didn't forget them. I just didn't mention them.
As if I had, I'm sure the conversation would have eventually evolved into "someone" pointing out that trees eat a lot of CO2, and they get really fat.*

Not really sure of the "caloric content" of CO2 though. hmmmm...
Believe it or not, this is not the first thread we've had about what the OP posted.
I believe you.
[edit: Oh. I didn't realize you were saying that this is the 2nd time the OP has posted the semi-exact same question. My bad.]

*Of course, they don't exercise much. In a human style, that is.

OmCheeto said:
Not really sure of the "caloric content" of CO2 though. hmmmm...

Actual Gizmodo article title: Is CO2 Making You Fat?
dated 2012.03.14

ps. It mentions nothing of "caloric content".

If I'm really gain weight more than 100 gram from 100 gram food
where that extra mass came form?

Chitose said:
You need to learn about the calorie content of food, I suggest that you read this thread and especially the links to the information. The weight of the food is absolutely meaningless.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-of-a-food-item-measured.616975/#post-3975660

If that is too difficult for you, perhaps starting off with something simpler might help.

http://kidshealth.org/en/kids/calorie.html

Likes jim mcnamara
Chitose said:

From water. The energy content of body fat is considerably less than that of pure fat.

BoB

Likes russ_watters
Yeah, I'm not sure if it was made clear enough:
gleem said:
Keep in mind that most foods you eat have considerable water and it has no caloric value. Meat is about 75% water Veggies 90% water.
So if you eat something dry and fatty, like chips, it will combine with water you drink to contribute more to your weight than its own weight. If you eat veggies with lots of water and few calories, they contribute less than their weight.

Likes gilakmesum
You have to consider the products in this question : Sure if you eat 100 grams of sugar you are + 100g weight (immediately) . But suppose you take in 100 grams sugar (glucose) in excess of energy requirement. The 6 carbon sugars are converted to two 3 carbon alcohols ( glycerol ) then six fatty acids react with the two glycerols ( condensation reaction , OH from acid H from alcohol) forming two esters (fat) . So the products here are more than initial 100 g: 100g glucose = .55 mole and if all converted to fat ( triglyceride) 885g/mole
http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchembook/552triglycerides.html
So the two 3 OH glycerols react with 6 fatty acids to form the esters. Starting with 100g glucose, .55 mole
How many grams of triglyceride ( 885g/mole) are produced ?

Last edited:
Would that be
.55 mole glucose x mole ester/ mole glucose x 885g/mole = 490 grams . Then 6 x 490g

morrobay said:
Would that be
.55 mole glucose x mole ester/ mole glucose x 885g/mole = 490 grams . Then 6 x 490g

Correction : 100g sugar (glucose) = .55 mole.
So .55 mole glucose x 2 moles triglyceride/ 1 mole glucose = 1.1 mole triglyceride x 885 g/mole = 973 g fat
So the excess 100 g sugar converted to 973g fat

1. How does food affect weight?

Food is the main source of energy for our bodies. When we consume more calories than we burn, our body stores the excess energy as fat, leading to weight gain. However, different types of food can affect weight differently. Foods high in sugar and unhealthy fats tend to be more calorie-dense and can contribute to weight gain, while high-fiber and protein-rich foods can help promote weight loss.

2. Can certain foods boost metabolism?

While some foods, such as spicy foods, have been thought to boost metabolism, the effect is minimal and temporary. The best way to boost metabolism is through regular physical activity and building lean muscle mass, as muscle burns more calories at rest than fat.

3. Is there a link between emotional eating and weight gain?

Yes, there is a strong link between emotional eating and weight gain. Emotional eating is a common coping mechanism for stress, sadness, or boredom, which can lead to consuming excess calories and weight gain. It's important to find alternative ways to cope with emotions, such as practicing mindfulness or engaging in physical activity.

4. Are certain diets more effective for weight loss?

There is no one-size-fits-all diet for weight loss. Different diets work for different people, and the key to successful weight loss is finding a healthy and sustainable eating plan that works for you. It's important to focus on whole, nutrient-dense foods and to avoid crash diets or restrictive eating.

5. How can I maintain a healthy weight?

Maintaining a healthy weight involves finding a balance between consuming enough calories to fuel your body's needs and burning off excess energy through physical activity. It's important to focus on whole, nutrient-dense foods, practice portion control, and maintain an active lifestyle. Consistency is key, and it's important to make healthy habits a part of your daily routine.