Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curious about the open system interconnect model

1. Apr 21, 2004 #1
    I'm curious about the open system interconnect model. I was wondering which layers of the OSI model are both hardware and software related? How does the OSI model package the data for transmission?
    I dont believe that the OSI model is perfect, what do you think could improve it?

Do all computer platforms and OS use the OSI model?
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2004 #2
    I have never thought about it in that way. The Data Link layer incorporates both hardware and software. I do not believe any of the other layers do.

The OSI model doesn’t “package” anything. It is just a model, developed by the International Organization of Standardization, which gives manufactures a standard to go by when developing protocols and network hardware. The OSI model helps companies develop networking devices that are compatible with another companies’ products without the companies having to know or communicate with each other.

I have heard a lot of folks complain about the lack of standards in IT, so I do think the OSI model is definitely a good thing. I use it often in troubleshooting or thinking on how to improve something. It helps me organize my thoughts.

That question is way over my head. Many, many people, within huge originations developed this model. For me alone to quickly think on how to improve it would be egotistical of me.

Nowadays they do (NICS and protocols that is, the OS has little to do with it). But if you have a stand alone computer that isn’t communicating with another node then the OSI model doesn’t come into play. When a computer transmits a packet through a NIC, seven layers of information are added to the packet. Each layer conforms to the OSI model and gives the recipient computer a set of instructions on what to do with the packet. The recipient computer receives the packets, strips off the layers while following the instructions embedded within the extra layers.

You could certainly develop a protocol that doesn’t conform to the OSI model. The problem is that it would be really hard to sell because it wouldn’t be compatible with anything out on the market today.
  4. Apr 22, 2004 #3
    When data is transfered from one layer to the next, what actually happens to it? How does each layer effect he data that is being transfered?
  5. Apr 22, 2004 #4

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?