Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curious About this DE

1. Jan 1, 2014 #1
    Hi, lately I've been messing around a lot with the Laplacian operator and DE's including the Laplacian operator. Most recently, the equation below is the one I have been messing around with and trying to understand better.

[itex]\nabla^2 U(\vec{r})=C(\vec{r})U(\vec{r})[/itex]

This is pretty general though.. WAYY too general for me to tackle. So I've been starting with the 1D case, which I also can't seem to solve.

[itex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}U(x)=C(x)U(x)[/itex]

My goal is to try to solve for U(x) in terms of C(x). Any ideas? Is there any way to know if such a solution exists? What about to the general equation above?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you know the form of the Laplacian operator in spherical or polar coordinates

4. Jan 1, 2014 #3
    No I don't but it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to figure it out. How could that help though?

5. Jan 8, 2014 #4
    A couple of thoughts for progressing.

1) Try the case where C is constant. This actually gives you a Helmholtz equation.

2) For the more general case, it helps to assume that U or U dot n =0 at the boundary and C has a certain sign.
    Then multiply by U and integrate over the domain, this will involve an integration by parts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook