Curious question about light/photons

In summary, Raman anti-Stokes scattering is a possible way to distort light into a shorter wavelength, but it requires a certain material to be excited and then have its frequency triggered by a different beam. There will be energy loss in this process, but it is possible.
Yes, and that idea is discussed in hundreds of papers, see also post #18.
Various google results.
So far, it is more efficient to add layers that are sensitive to longer wavelengths, instead of lossy conversion processes.

Likes JG Questions
Science news on Phys.org
JG Questions said:
If a photon wavelength (yellow) is isolated from the other wavelengths that sunlight emits (once it gets to earth), can that particular particle/photon be distorted slightly into a wavelength that is shorter (perceived as green)?
Collisions (scattering) with around 25000 electrons, which is not too high compared to the path the photon will travel, will increase its wavelength from 510 nm to 570nm by Compton Scattering.

Likes Redbelly98 and JG Questions
mfb said:
Yes, and that idea is discussed in hundreds of papers, see also post #18.
Various google results.
So far, it is more efficient to add layers that are sensitive to longer wavelengths, instead of lossy conversion processes.
Thank you, i think you helped me immensely

davenn said:
so, It's taken 19 posts for you to get to the core of what this thread is all about

you said "we" ... are you stating that you are part of this engineering team ?

and what does this new info have to do with your original Q ?Dave
I had a couple talks with some leaders in the advancement in quantum computing yes. I am just being curious, and my original question is incredibly related i believe.

mfb said:
Why do you want to change the frequency? Changing intensity or polarization is so much easier. And even that is a very challenging task. Optical computing has some interesting applications, mainly for fast internet data transfer (where the data transmission is optical already, so you save two conversion steps). I don't think replacing a whole ALU or even the whole CPU with optical elements is a realistic option in the near-term future.You cannot reduce entropy, and you cannot violate conservation of energy either. Upconversion of infrared light for photovoltaics is studied, but multiple layers sensitive to different wavelength ranges are possible as well.
Quantum computing needs exactly that, replacing the ALU with optical elements

JG Questions said:
Quantum computing needs exactly that, replacing the ALU with optical elements
Depends on the objects used for computation.
And for quantum computers, you do not replace the ALU. You add a quantum system to a classical computer design, in the same way today's computers have specialized floating point units.

You keep mixing unrelated concepts here.

Neandethal00 said:
Collisions (scattering) with around 25000 electrons, which is not too high compared to the path the photon will travel, will increase its wavelength from 510 nm to 570nm by Compton Scattering.
Compton scattering was my first thought as well. But I don't follow why 25,000 would be necessary, it should be possible with one collision if the electron has the right amount of KE.

JG Questions said:
Am I the only one who wonders about news titles that read "Computing at the speed of light" when talking about optical computing? To my knowledge, conventional electronic signals propagate at speeds comparable to c as well. At least that's true for signals traveling down coax lines, I'm not certain about propagation inside a chip.

Redbelly98 said:
Compton scattering was my first thought as well. But I don't follow why 25,000 would be necessary, it should be possible with one collision if the electron has the right amount of KE.
I guess that number was assuming electrons in solids - nearly at rest.
Redbelly98 said:
Am I the only one who wonders about news titles that read "Computing at the speed of light" when talking about optical computing?
It makes great news titles. Light in vacuum is indeed a bit faster than electric signals in cables, but that advantage gets lost with glass fibres.

Likes davenn
<h2>1. What is light?</h2><p>Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is composed of photons, which are tiny packets of energy that travel in waves.</p><h2>2. How do photons work?</h2><p>Photons are the fundamental particles that make up light. They have no mass and travel at the speed of light. They carry energy and interact with matter, causing various phenomena such as reflection, refraction, and absorption.</p><h2>3. What is the speed of light?</h2><p>The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which is equivalent to about 670 million miles per hour. This is the fastest speed at which anything can travel in the universe.</p><h2>4. Can light travel forever?</h2><p>According to the laws of physics, light can travel forever unless it encounters an obstacle or is absorbed by matter. In a vacuum, light can travel indefinitely without losing its energy.</p><h2>5. How does light interact with matter?</h2><p>Light can interact with matter in various ways, depending on the properties of the matter. It can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted through transparent materials. When light is absorbed, it can cause the atoms in the matter to become excited and emit light of a different wavelength, which is the basis of fluorescence and phosphorescence.</p>

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is composed of photons, which are tiny packets of energy that travel in waves.

2. How do photons work?

Photons are the fundamental particles that make up light. They have no mass and travel at the speed of light. They carry energy and interact with matter, causing various phenomena such as reflection, refraction, and absorption.

3. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which is equivalent to about 670 million miles per hour. This is the fastest speed at which anything can travel in the universe.

4. Can light travel forever?

According to the laws of physics, light can travel forever unless it encounters an obstacle or is absorbed by matter. In a vacuum, light can travel indefinitely without losing its energy.

5. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in various ways, depending on the properties of the matter. It can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted through transparent materials. When light is absorbed, it can cause the atoms in the matter to become excited and emit light of a different wavelength, which is the basis of fluorescence and phosphorescence.