Curious questions about a pendulum

In summary, an iron bob is more suited than an aluminum bob for a pendulum because of the higher density of the iron. Air friction is smaller for iron due to the smaller surface area. This affects the swing negatively because the acceleration of the bob will decrease over time.
nemzy
If the size of the ball that is attached to the pendulum increases, will it affect the swing at all?

What if you changed the mass of the spring, will that influence any change in T?

Also, why is that an iron bob is more suited than an aluminum?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the third question,i have no idea...Fot the second and the first what are your answers and WHY??

Daniel.

i'll answer the last one than... the iron is heavier (higher density) than aluminum

think about air friction...

for the first part, well since it isn't a point mass this isn't an ideal pendulum. So if i treat this like a physical pendulum, then I, moment of inertia is directly proportional with T, so if size of ball increases , so should T? is my conceptual thinking right or am i missing an important point

Also, when the mass of a string increases, i remember that it will change the swing of the pendulum, and i remember i saw a formula for it somewhere but i just can't remeber where. But changing the mass of a spring , i have no idea how it will effect the swing of a pendulum
thanks

Air friction is modeled by Stokes force and aerodynamical force (coming from the dynamical pressure)...They do not imply the density of the object that is moving in that medium...Only size,velocity and rigidness (and of course the "ita" coefficient)...Of course,the density of the medium,too... :tongue2:

Daniel.

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/StokesFlowSphere.html

EDIT:Despite the indirect effect,the formulas still do not contain the density,but "derived" elements,like radius and cross-section...

Last edited:
the mass of the ball increase sure won't affect the air friction... however, F=ma, if the force doesn't change, and increase the mass... the accelaration will decrease... that's mean the effect of air friction on the ball will decrease , which eventually affect the swing period...

I would have been an idiot to claim that air friction would not affect the swing...

Daniel...

Last edited:
ok, so what about my reasonings for quesoitn 1 and 2?

nemzy said:
If the size of the ball that is attached to the pendulum increases, will it affect the swing at all?

What if you changed the mass of the spring, will that influence any change in T?

Also, why is that an iron bob is more suited than an aluminum?

For bobs of Al & Fe with the same mass,air friction is smaller for Fe,since its volume is smaller and hence the surface of the sphere (cross-section) is smaller.

So the effect of density is INDIRECT,through:density------>volume----->surface/radius------->friction---------->period of oscillation.

Daniel.

Last edited:

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point so that it can swing freely back and forth under the influence of gravity. It is commonly used in scientific experiments to study the laws of motion and energy.

2. How does a pendulum work?

A pendulum works by converting potential energy (stored in the height of the weight) into kinetic energy (as it swings back and forth). The force of gravity acting on the weight causes it to swing in a predictable pattern known as simple harmonic motion.

3. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum?

The motion of a pendulum is affected by its length, weight, and the strength of gravity. The longer the pendulum, the slower it swings. The heavier the weight, the faster it swings. And the stronger the force of gravity, the faster it swings.

4. How is a pendulum used to measure time?

A pendulum can be used as a timekeeping device because its motion is regular and consistent. The time it takes for a pendulum to swing back and forth (known as its period) is directly related to its length. By measuring the period, we can calculate the time elapsed.

5. Can a pendulum swing forever?

In theory, a pendulum can swing forever without any external forces acting on it. However, in reality, friction and air resistance will cause the pendulum to eventually slow down and stop. To keep a pendulum swinging indefinitely, it would need to be in a vacuum with no friction present.