Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curious what the take is around here on antidepressants

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    Hi all,

Just kinda curious what the take is around here on antidepressants. Myself, i don't like pills of any kind... but maybe they'd be worth the investment for some people. If anyone knows any good articles for or against them, that'd be welcome. But mostly, i'm just looking for individual opinions or experiences.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'd be toast without my Wellbutrin and Citalopram. The 'W' alone didn't work, even on a double dose, so I think that seratonin is more of a cuplprit than the other things.

4. Jun 13, 2005 #3
    Wellbutrin works a minor miracle for me - relatively few side effects, possibly an aphrodisiac [caution against potential recreational users], doesn't address anxiety so well, but I thrive on that anyway. I would advise against using SSRIs if you have any history of bipolar disorder, but they can be good for unipolar depression with anxiety. The disadvantage of trying modern antidepressants is the four to six week wait until their maximum effect.

5. Jun 13, 2005 #4
    Don't worry about drugs if a proffessional doesn't say you need them. Not everyone who has emotional problems has them due to a mental condition/chemical imbalance. Or SSRI drugs like Paxil or Zoloft won't necessarily help someone who is depressed due to circumstances or what not but otherwise has regular seretonin levels.

I'm not discrediting the drugs, I'm just saying they're not for everyone. Unfortunatly a psychiatrist will give drugs to anyone even if they don't need it because it's their business with the pharmacuetical industry.

6. Jun 13, 2005 #5
    Whether drugs help is subjective but Paxil didn't help me but a fresh outlook later did. I still have some Paxil samples left if anyone wants I'll mail them. Not really I'm sure that's against the law somehow.

7. Jun 13, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If you have a chemical imbalance, you need something that will correct it. There is nothing wrong with that.

If you are talking about tranquilizers, amphetamines or other such drugs, that's completely different.

Can you clarify which type of drugs you are referring to?

8. Jun 13, 2005 #7

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

drinking and anti-depressants don't work at all. if you drink alcohol and want to take anti-depressants, be prepared to waste time and money...

9. Jun 13, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The literature says they work. There are several classes of antidepressants available with different mechanisms of action, so depending on the cause of the depression, different ones work for different people. That said, taking medication isn't something to take lightly either. When someone has a legitimate reason to be sad, like a recent death of a loved one or a break-up with a long-time boyfriend/girlfriend, then I think the first approach should be just giving yourself some time to work though the grief and some talk therapy can help. But, when the depression lasts a long time and you're not getting over it, or it's getting worse, and it's bad enough to be interferring with living your life (i.e., too lethargic to get your work done or loss of interest in social activities), and other physical causes can be ruled out, the drugs can be a life saver...literally.

There has been recent publicity about teens committing suicide AFTER starting to take antidepressants, but from what I'm familiar with of such cases, what happens is they already have those suicidal thoughts before starting the medication, but don't have the energy to follow through; they're just lying around in a constant funk. When they start the medication, as it's starting to work, but hasn't fully reversed the depression, they reach a stage where they have the energy to carry through on those thoughts while they still have those thoughts. That's the stage where people close to them need to be educated about the risks and to carefully watch them.

10. Jun 13, 2005 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Most people don't need it. It's quite sad how medicated our society is becoming.

11. Jun 13, 2005 #10
    There have been cases like this for other kinds of drugs also. So if someone commits suicide some lawyer thinks, "what drugs were they taking?" so they can make an accusation to get $$ but they don't tie the suicide in with the pill and it's no different than anyone not on meds committing suicide, they're just greedy lawyers fishing and it makes publicity.

12. Jun 13, 2005 #11

Evo

The thing with SSRI's and similar drugs is that if you don't need it, nothing will happen. If you do not have a chemical imbalance, then there is nothing to correct. You will soon find out if you needed help or if you are truly depressed.

If it's a drug like a tranquilizer or amphetamine, then it is only a temporary "mood alterer" and these can become a problem. They aren't actually correcting a problem, they are just masking your emotions.

13. Jun 13, 2005 #12
    If you have issues I'll tell you EITHER counseling or drugs will help you, but which one that depends.. but problems have different solutions so a pro. therapist could help determine a good path for correction even be it electroshock therapy if that's what you truly need, it really depends on the person.

14. Jun 13, 2005 #13
    Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in conjunction with medication has been shown twice as effective as either treatment alone for depression/anxiety.

15. Jun 13, 2005 #14

Danger

Gold Member

It should also be pointed out here to anyone who doesn't have it that clinical depression doesn't necessarily involve feelings of sadness or bleakness. It can be manifest in so many different ways that it can be very hard to diagnose.

16. Jun 13, 2005 #15

Evo

For a first time person experiencing anxiety attacks, they need to speak to a professional so they can try to determine which medicine may be most effective. It is usually trial and error for awhile until the right medicine is found.

I had hoped that perhaps some of the feelings of anxiety and depression I had been feeling might be chemical and could be easily gotten riddin of. No such luck, I have no chemical imbalances. :redface: I'm normal. :devil:

The psychlogist I went to (one of the best in Chicago told me that after talking to me that he doesn't think there is anything wrong with me, I have really just had really crappy things happen to me and ANYONE would be depressed if they were me. :bugeye: So no medicine can help Evo. I'm normal, no help for me. :uhh:

17. Jun 14, 2005 #16

Astronuc

For those who don't need medication for neurochemical adjustments, sometimes exercise or recreation helps.

I was doing a lot of work indoors one summer. I started feeling a bit down, so I quit the inside job and got a construction job outside in the sun. After a few weeks, I felt much better. The construction job did have the added benefit of heavy work - so I got lots of exercise.

Also, getting stuck in a routine, particularly in a job that is stressful or otherwise not much fun, can lead to anxiety and in the extreme, depression.

Taking a short vacation - going somewhere new and fun - but really - shutting off the world for even a day can be very rejuvenating.

I did that one day a few years ago. I was with a very good friend, and I just shut off the world and enjoyed a day walking around a city in Eastern Europe visiting museums and galleries, churches, shops, parks. It was one of the best days of my life.

18. Jun 14, 2005 #17
    Well, i guess it'd be silly of me to pretend i wasn't asking because i'm planningto take them myself... so ya... i've been to therapists before, and meds have casually been mentioned, and i've always refused. i've been trying to work things out on my own, but mostly i become increasingly unfunctional. it doesn't help that i've had additional emotional stress lately, but its definetly been a long term problem. I'm planning to see my doctor, and a therapist, and to check my options out. i'm especially worried about how ambitious i'm planning next semester to be. i know i can handle the material, but i just don't have any drive or ambition... ever. every once in a while i get spurts, but mostly i get too depressed and thus lethargic and i just don't do anything... ever.

Also, while we're sort of discussing things. I'm also going to get screened for ADD, and see if perhaps drugs for that might help my situation.

I've just been a very sad, depressed, empty feeling person for so long. and the recent stress in addition to that is brutal. i just want to be fixed and become a functional member of society. i don't like the idea of adding chemicals or hormones to my body, but if it'll really help... then i guess i ought try eh?

19. Jun 14, 2005 #18
    Well to deal with issues don't overload too much work on, leave time for hobbies or whatever stuff you enjoy doing instead of only working and moping; budget your time including the fun stuff. Then for the work stuff you can have motivation because one leads to the other, work and fun coexisting.

20. Jun 14, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

I probably should have specified that ADD is what I'm on the antidepressants for. That's what I meant about one not necessarily being depressed in order to have depression. The drugs make a tremendous difference to me, but they're definitely not for everyone.

21. Jun 14, 2005 #20
    you know.... funny thing about being depressed... there isn't much i like to for fun any more. i try to do things... but nothing really... i just have to force myself to do "fun" things... and then i feel stupid afterwars or something. course, i'm hardly worried about working too much either... seeing as right now, i don't work at all. i'm just a big waste of space, with no purpose or direction. the worst part is that i'm a smart girl, and i think i could probably amount to something... but its not happening... i'm just wasting my mind doing nothing...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?