Solving Curl(A x B): Step-By-Step Guide

• Thread starter SingBlueSilva
  • Start date
In summary: But in the j term, it should bev du/dx + w du/dy + x du/dz = (v d/dx + w d/dy + x d/dz) uAnd in the k term, it should beu du/dx + v du/dy + w du/dz = (u d/dx + v d/dy + w d/dz) uBut I don't see any of those terms in my equation.In summary, the homework statement is that curl(A x B) = AdivB - BdivA + (B·∇)A - (A·∇)B. To do
SingBlueSilva

Homework Statement

I need to prove curl(A x B) = AdivB - BdivA + (B·∇)A - (A·∇)B
But I keep on getting confused in the numbers. I tried taking the cross product A x B and crossing that into the gradient, but I just get lost. I also tried going from the right side of the equation and get lost in there as well.

Can someone show me a clear way of doing this proof or put me in the right direction?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't a shortcut to these type of formulas. Just work both sides out. It might help slightly to avoid subscripts in the vectors so try letting

A = < u, v, w >
B = < r, s, t >

all functions of x, y, z, and work both sides. Hopefully you will see how to group things to show they are equal, assuming they are.

Are you familiar with the Levi-Civita symbol εijk? Using it can make these sorts of proofs a lot easier.

No, I’m not familiar with that.

Just to be clear, curl(A x B) = AdivB - BdivA + (B·∇)A - (A·∇)B = 2AdivB - 2BdivA, correct?

SingBlueSilva said:
No, I’m not familiar with that.
Bummer.
Just to be clear, curl(A x B) = AdivB - BdivA + (B·∇)A - (A·∇)B = 2AdivB - 2BdivA, correct?
Nope.

scratch that last post, it was dumb.

Well I started by taking the left side of the equation and get to this:

[d/dy(us-rv)+d/dz(ut-rw)]i-[d/dx(us-vr)-d/dz(vt-ws)]j+[d/dx(ut-wr)-d/dy(vt-ws)]k

if I add d/dx(ur-ru) to the i component, d/dy(uv-vu) to the j component and d/dz(uw-wu) to the k component, I can come up with the first two terms. But I can’t figure out the rest.

In the i term, for example, you should have terms like

r du/dx + s du/dy + t du/dz = (r d/dx + s d/dy + t d/dz) u

That's the x-component of (B⋅∇) A.

What is Curl?

Curl is a mathematical operation that represents the amount of rotation or "curl" of a vector field at a given point. It is denoted by the symbol ∇ x and is also known as the vector cross product or cross derivative.

What is A x B?

A x B is the cross product of two vectors A and B. It is a binary operation that results in a vector that is perpendicular to both A and B. The magnitude of the resulting vector is equal to the product of the magnitudes of A and B multiplied by the sine of the angle between the two vectors.

Why is Solving Curl(A x B) important?

Solving Curl(A x B) is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of vector fields and to solve various physical problems.

What are the steps for solving Curl(A x B)?

The steps for solving Curl(A x B) are as follows:

1. Calculate the cross product of A and B.
  2. Calculate the partial derivatives of each component of the resulting vector.
  3. Substitute the partial derivatives into the curl formula (∇ x).
  4. Simplify the resulting expression to obtain the final answer.

Are there any applications of Solving Curl(A x B) in real life?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of Solving Curl(A x B). For example, it is used in fluid dynamics to understand the flow of fluids and in electromagnetism to calculate the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D images and animations.