1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Curl(A x B)

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to prove curl(A x B) = AdivB - BdivA + (B·∇)A - (A·∇)B
    But I keep on getting confused in the numbers. I tried taking the cross product A x B and crossing that into the gradient, but I just get lost. I also tried going from the right side of the equation and get lost in there as well.

Can someone show me a clear way of doing this proof or put me in the right direction?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There isn't a shortcut to these type of formulas. Just work both sides out. It might help slightly to avoid subscripts in the vectors so try letting

A = < u, v, w >
    B = < r, s, t >

all functions of x, y, z, and work both sides. Hopefully you will see how to group things to show they are equal, assuming they are.

4. May 9, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you familiar with the Levi-Civita symbol εijk? Using it can make these sorts of proofs a lot easier.

5. May 9, 2010 #4
    No, I’m not familiar with that.

Just to be clear, curl(A x B) = AdivB - BdivA + (B·∇)A - (A·∇)B = 2AdivB - 2BdivA, correct?

6. May 9, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Bummer.
    Nope.

7. May 9, 2010 #6
    scratch that last post, it was dumb.

Well I started by taking the left side of the equation and get to this:

[d/dy(us-rv)+d/dz(ut-rw)]i-[d/dx(us-vr)-d/dz(vt-ws)]j+[d/dx(ut-wr)-d/dy(vt-ws)]k

if I add d/dx(ur-ru) to the i component, d/dy(uv-vu) to the j component and d/dz(uw-wu) to the k component, I can come up with the first two terms. But I can’t figure out the rest.

8. May 9, 2010 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

In the i term, for example, you should have terms like

r du/dx + s du/dy + t du/dz = (r d/dx + s d/dy + t d/dz) u

That's the x-component of (B⋅∇) A.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook