Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Curl(A x B)

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to prove curl(A x B) = AdivB - BdivA + (B·∇)A - (A·∇)B
    But I keep on getting confused in the numbers. I tried taking the cross product A x B and crossing that into the gradient, but I just get lost. I also tried going from the right side of the equation and get lost in there as well.

Can someone show me a clear way of doing this proof or put me in the right direction?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There isn't a shortcut to these type of formulas. Just work both sides out. It might help slightly to avoid subscripts in the vectors so try letting

A = < u, v, w >
    B = < r, s, t >

all functions of x, y, z, and work both sides. Hopefully you will see how to group things to show they are equal, assuming they are.

4. May 9, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you familiar with the Levi-Civita symbol εijk? Using it can make these sorts of proofs a lot easier.

5. May 9, 2010 #4
    No, I’m not familiar with that.

Just to be clear, curl(A x B) = AdivB - BdivA + (B·∇)A - (A·∇)B = 2AdivB - 2BdivA, correct?

6. May 9, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Bummer.
    Nope.

7. May 9, 2010 #6
    scratch that last post, it was dumb.

Well I started by taking the left side of the equation and get to this:

[d/dy(us-rv)+d/dz(ut-rw)]i-[d/dx(us-vr)-d/dz(vt-ws)]j+[d/dx(ut-wr)-d/dy(vt-ws)]k

if I add d/dx(ur-ru) to the i component, d/dy(uv-vu) to the j component and d/dz(uw-wu) to the k component, I can come up with the first two terms. But I can’t figure out the rest.

8. May 9, 2010 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

In the i term, for example, you should have terms like

r du/dx + s du/dy + t du/dz = (r d/dx + s d/dy + t d/dz) u

That's the x-component of (B⋅∇) A.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook