Can I derive an equation for a vector field's divergence from its curl equation?

In summary, it is possible to derive an equation for the originating vector field if given an equation for the curl of the field. This can be done by solving partial differential equations or through using differential forms, which can be found in resources such as "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas or "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by Arfken and Weber. For high school students, it is recommended to start with Boas and then possibly move on to more advanced resources, such as "Differential Forms with Applications to the Physical Sciences" by Harley Flanders. Additionally, there are online resources, such as Google Books, that provide examples and explanations on this topic.
Savant13
Given an equation describing the curl of a vector field, is it possible to derive an equation for the originating vector field?

The divergence of the field is known to be zero at all points

Physics news on Phys.org
yea, you would have to solve partial differential equations:

[tex] \nabla \times \vec{F} = \vec{A}[/tex]

[tex] \nabla \cdot \vec{F} = 0 [/tex]

There *are* expressions for this. You might be able to find them in something like Boas or Arfken and Weber.

If you are familiar with differential forms, many (most? all?) proofs of the converse of Poincare's lemma also give the expressions that you want. See, e.g, Flanders.

weichi said:
There *are* expressions for this. You might be able to find them in something like Boas or Arfken and Weber.

If you are familiar with differential forms, many (most? all?) proofs of the converse of Poincare's lemma also give the expressions that you want. See, e.g, Flanders.

Where can I find this? I'm a high school student learning outside the classroom, so I don't have access to any resources that require subscription

More specific references:

"Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas. This is an undergrad level book that is great for covering math required to do physics. It has lots of problems, *many* with answers in the back. I think the only critical prereq is calculus, which you must have. This book was a big help to me while preparing for grad school.

I don't know whether Boas actually covers the specific question you have, but it's still a good book to take a look at! You can learn *a lot* from it.

"Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by Arfken and Weber. Graduate-level, covers much more than Boas. Again, don't know whether it covers your specific question. This is almost certainly going to be too difficult for a high-school student, but if you ever decide that you are comfortable with the material in Boas, you might want to peek in this book.

"Differential Forms with Applications to the Physical Sciences", by Harley Flanders. I like this book, but it does require some "mathematical maturity". I wouldn't really recommend looking at this yet.

But ... lo and behold, it's on google books, and the relevant passage is on pg 28-32. In fact, the example on pg 30 is exactly what you want! In the language of forms, Flanders' A, B, and C on this page are the x, y, and z components of your expression for curl B.

If these pages from Flanders interest you, you might want to look at threads here on physicsforums that discuss forms. I'm sure they have references that are easier to learn from.

1. What is a curl field and how is it defined?

A curl field is a vector field that describes the rotation or circulation of a fluid or a force at each point in space. It is defined as the vector cross product of the gradient of a scalar field and the vector field itself.

2. What is a vector field and how is it represented mathematically?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to each point in space. It is typically represented as a set of equations or parametric equations, where each variable represents a component of the vector.

3. How is the curl of a vector field related to its divergence?

The curl of a vector field measures the tendency of the field to rotate around a point, while the divergence measures the tendency of the field to flow away or towards a point. In general, a vector field with a non-zero curl will also have a non-zero divergence.

4. What is the physical significance of a curl field?

Curl fields are commonly used in physics to describe the behavior of fluids and electromagnetic fields. They can also be used to model the movement of objects in a fluid, such as the motion of a spinning top or a ball rolling on a surface.

5. How can curl and vector fields be visualized?

Curl and vector fields can be visualized using vector plots, which show the magnitude and direction of the vectors at different points in space. Another visualization technique is the use of streamlines, which trace out the path of a fluid or force in the field. Additionally, computer simulations can be used to generate 3D representations of these fields.