1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Curl div

1. Jun 14, 2010 #1
    Curl div....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f is a scalar field. What does div(f) curl(f) rotgrad(f) divgrad(f) stand for?

I need to know if a scalar field can have the meanings of roration and diverge like a vector field

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Re: Curl div....

if f is a scalar field, then grad(f) is a vector fields

div(f) makes no sense as f is a scalar, and div operates on vectors , curl(f) doesn't make sense for the same reasons

i'm guess rotgrad(f) = curl(grad(f)) which is ok, though i remember correctly its zero

and divgrad(f) = div(grad(f)) which is ok as well

have a look at this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus_identities

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  4. Jun 14, 2010 #3

div and curl are only defined for vector fields. grad is only defined for scalar fields.

The result of div is a scalar and the result of grad and curl is a vector. Therefore, these are the second spatial derivatives that you can construct:

[tex]
    \mathrm{div} (\mathbf{grad} \, \phi) = \nabla^{2} \, \phi
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \mathrm{div} (\mathbf{curl} \, \mathbf{A}) = 0
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \mathbf{grad} (\mathrm{div} \, \mathbf{A})
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \mathbf{curl}(\mathbf{grad} \, \phi) = \mathbf{0}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \mathbf{curl} (\mathbf{curl} \, \mathbf{A}) = \mathbf{grad} (\mathrm{div} \, \mathbf{A}) - \nabla^{2} \, \mathbf{A}
    [/tex]

where [itex]\nabla^{2}[/itex] stands for the Laplace differential operator (Laplacian).

5. Jun 14, 2010 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

fixed up above - missed the curl(f) bit

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook