Can you find a vector field that equals its own curl?

• Thread starter math man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl Pde
In summary, there is a function whose curl is itself. However, solving for the operators is easier than solving for the components.
math man
I was looking through a calculus book doing some of the practice problems where I was asked to calculate the curl of a few functions. One of them got me thinking, is there a function whose curl is itself? Much like how [itex]e^{x}[/itex] is it's own derivative, is there a vector field that is it's own curl?
[tex]∇×F = F[/tex]
Are there any non-zero general solutions to this problem? This will expand to a system of 3 linear PDE's with 3 unknowns. The problem is, I'm new to PDE's and don't know how to solve them. I am familiar with ODE's to some extent, and I understand that the goal is to simplify a PDE into an ODE. So my question... how would I go about solving this problem? Do you know any good online references that would teach me? Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are certainly several.

One example that I can think of off the top of my head is:
F = (0, cos(x), -sin(x))

Good, so it is solvable. Following your example...
<0, sin(x), cos(x)>
<cos(y), 0, sin(y)>
<-sin(y), 0, cos(y)>
<sin(z), cos(z), 0>
<cos(z), -sin(z), 0>

Are all solutions to my problem. Is there a general method to solve for these, a way to combine them into a single general form from which they can all be derived?

This will give you three equations for three unknowns, cross differentiate to obtain three separate equations.

How do you cross differentiate something?

Use the normal formula for cross product (like say in determinant form) and then set-up three equations corresponding to each component (as pointed out by hunt_mat above).

If you know how to calculate the curl component-wise for an unspecified F, then the rest is equating each element of F to the respective element of curl(F).

[tex]\nabla f\vec{i}+ g\vec{j}+ h\vec{k}= \left(\frac{\partial h}{\partial y}- \frac{\partial g}{\partial z}\right)\vec{i}- \left(\frac{\partial h}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\right)\vec{j}+\left(\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)\vec{k}[/tex]

So [itex]\nabla \vec{F}= \vec{F}[/itex] gives the three partial differential equations
[tex]\frac{\partial h}{\partial y}- \frac{\partial g}{\partial z}= f[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}- \frac{\partial h}{\partial x}= g[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= h[/tex]

You can reduce those to higher derivative equations in just one unknown function similarly to how you can reduce systems of numerical equations. To make it easier to see what you are doing, rewrite those in "operator form", writing "Dx" for the partial derivative with respect to x, etc.
Dyh- Dzg= f
Dzf- Dxh= g
Dxg- Dyf= h

You can treat those derivatives like numerical coefficients and multiply to get like coefficients, etc. then add or subtract to reduce. (I said like numerical coefficients. "Multiplying" on the right will be applying the derivative to that function.)

Thank you HallsofIvy. I had a hunch that you might solve for the operators and not for the components of F, but I didn't think to treat them like numbers. After a few hours of trying random things, I finally was able to get it down to 1 PDE by using matrix row operations. Thank you everyone for your posts.

1. What does "curl F = F" mean in this context?

"Curl F = F" is a partial differential equation (PDE) that represents a vector field F whose curl (a measure of rotation) is equal to the vector field F itself. It is a simplified version of the more complex equation "curl F = G", where G is another vector field.

2. Can you provide an example of a physical phenomenon that can be described by "curl F = F"?

One example is the motion of a fluid in a circular pipe. The vector field F represents the velocity of the fluid, and its curl being equal to itself indicates that the fluid is rotating around an axis.

3. How do you solve for F in "curl F = F"?

There is no single method for solving this type of PDE, as it depends on the specific form of the vector field F and the boundary conditions of the problem. It may involve using techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or Green's functions.

4. What are the applications of solving "curl F = F"?

This equation has various applications in physics and engineering, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It can be used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as the flow of fluids, the behavior of magnetic fields, and the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. Is "curl F = F" always solvable?

No, not all vector fields F can satisfy "curl F = F" and some may require additional conditions or constraints to be solvable. It is important to carefully consider the specific problem and its boundary conditions before attempting to solve this PDE.