1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curl of (A*B)

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that [tex]\nabla\times(A\times B)= (B.\nabla)A-(A.\nabla)B-B(\nabla.A)+A(\nabla.B)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

bac-cab [tex]\nabla\times(A\times B)= (\nabla.B)A-(\nabla.A)B[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that [tex]B(\nabla.A)=(\nabla.A)B[/tex] and [tex]A(\nabla.B)= (\nabla.B)A[/tex]

So what about [tex](B.\nabla)A-(A.\nabla)B=?[/tex] Does it equal to zero? Or maybe bac cab is not related to this problem!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2
    When and how is this ["bac - cab"] equation valid? The above equation is valid only as long as "a" is....?

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3
    So how can I prove it? Please help me!

5. Nov 24, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Prove it by letting [itex]\vec A = \langle f,g,h\rangle,\ \vec B = \langle u,v,w\rangle[/itex] and just work out both sides to check they are equal. It's easy, just a little algebra.

6. Nov 24, 2009 #5
    Another interesting way would be to do to use a gem of a trick that I learnt off of the Feynman Lectures. Refer to Feynman Lectures, Volume II, Lecture 27, Field Energy and Field Momentum.

7. Nov 24, 2009 #6
    Thank you very much for your help. I actually proved it in the way you suggested me, but only for the x-component, and it was a lot of algebra!

8. Nov 24, 2009 #7
    Thank you very much. I will try to study it.

9. Nov 25, 2009 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Do you know index notation? Vector identities are quite easy with it.

10. Nov 25, 2009 #9
    Please tell me about "index notation". I went to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_notation but I didn't completely understand your point of view!

11. Nov 25, 2009 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~physCS33/spring2009/index-notation.pdf [Broken]

Give this a try. Unfortunately, when I learned it, it was during lectures and not in our textbook so I can't tell you what book you can learn it out of. This should be enough though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Nov 26, 2009 #11
    Thank you very much. I downloaded it and I will read it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook