Curl of Function: Constant Magnitude or Way Off?

In summary, the misconception that the grad of the curl of a function is always zero stems from confusing two properties of curl: the divergence of the curl is always zero, and if a function can be written as the gradient of another function, its curl is zero. These properties do not imply that the curl of the gradient is always zero. Furthermore, the concept of "grad of curl" is not well-defined as grad is normally applied to scalar fields.
nolanp2
if the grad of the curl of a function is always zero does this mean the magnitude of the curl is constant? or am i way off here?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
edit: misread the question- sorry!

Last edited:
Firstly note that it is NOT true that the grad of the curl of a function is always zero.

Actually nolan I think you are mixing up two separate properties of "curl" there to come to this misconception. The properties that you are thinking of are probably these two :

1. The div of the curl of a function is always zero. (div is not the same thing as grad ok).

2. If a given function can be written as the grad of another function then that given function has a curl of zero.

Note that neither of thse two things (taken seperately or together) imply what you have written.

Ok looking at your question again I can see that it's probably the second property that I wrote that is the one you have gotten mixed up. It's the curl of a grad that is zero (a zero vector) not the way you put it, grad of a curl is not neccessarily zero

that the curl of the grad is zero is essentially trivial. it follows from the trivial fact that the integral of GRAD is zero around a closed curve. this is because that integral is evaluated by subtracting the values of some function at the two endpoints, which are equal.

that in turn is true by the FTC, which holds by the trivial fact that the derivative of the area function is the height functon, which holds trivially because the area of a rectangle is the base times the height.

on the other hand, sticking all these trivialities together, maybe we have a pathologically amazing theorem!

more interesting is the investigation of forms with zero curl which are not gradients, like dtheta.

One other thing I should have noticed about the original post. "Grad of Curl" isn't even defined. Grad is normally applied to a scaler field, giving a vector result. So "div of curl" makes sense but "grad of curl" doesn't. So my guess is that the OP is getting confused between grad and div.

1. What is the curl of a function?

The curl of a function is a mathematical concept used to describe the rotation or circulation of a vector field. It is a vector quantity that represents the tendency of a vector field to rotate around a point.

2. How is the curl of a function calculated?

The curl of a function is calculated using the partial derivative of its components with respect to each variable. This can be represented as a cross product of the gradient operator and the vector field.

3. Can the curl of a function have a constant magnitude?

Yes, the curl of a function can have a constant magnitude. This means that the vector field is rotating at a constant rate around a point. In this case, the curl vector will be perpendicular to the axis of rotation.

4. What does it mean if the curl of a function is way off?

If the curl of a function is way off, it means that the vector field is changing rapidly and unpredictably around a point. This can indicate a high degree of turbulence or instability in the system described by the function.

5. How is the curl of a function used in real-world applications?

The concept of curl is used in many fields of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics. It can help analyze the behavior of fluids, predict the movement of objects in a magnetic field, and create realistic visual effects in computer simulations.