1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curl of Biot-Savart Law

1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    My understanding of the curl of a vector field is the amount of circulation per unit area with a direction normal to the area. For the vector field described as [tex]\textbf{B} =\boldsymbol{\hat\phi} \frac{\mu_{0}I}{2 \pi r} [/tex] I figured the curl would be something more like this, because it points in the vector normal to the rotation and in the direction of the current.

[tex]\nabla \times \textbf{B} = \boldsymbol{\hat{z}}\frac{\mu_{0}I}{\pi r^2}[/tex]

But when I go to calculate the curl of it by hand, I get zero. I know this can't be the case because I can do the line integral around a circle of radius r @ z = 0 and get
    [tex] \iint_{S} {\nabla \times \textbf{B}} \cdot d\textbf{S}=\oint_{C}\textbf{B} \cdot d\textbf{l} = \mu_{0}I [/tex]

So I know the curl cannot be zero. But when I calculate by hand and by calculator, in cylindrical and cartesian coordinates, I get zero. Why is this the case? Am I doing the math wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

It is zero everywhere except at r=0. Try doing a line integral around a path that does not enclose the origin.

4. Sep 7, 2015 #3
    Ahh, that makes more sense. If the curl of B is zero everywhere except for r = 0, I'm guessing the magnitude is probably more in line with a unit impulse function, right?

5. Sep 7, 2015 #4

Dale

Yes, which is what you would expect with an impulsive current density located at r=0.

6. Sep 7, 2015 #5

jtbell

Note that we have an analogous situation in electrostatics, with the divergence of ##\vec E## and the integral of the flux of ##\vec E## over a closed surface. Consider a point charge and calculate ##\nabla \cdot \vec E## at any point where the charge is not located. Also calculate ##\oint {\vec E \cdot d \vec a}## for (a) a surface that encloses the charge, and (b) for a surface that does not enclose the charge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook