1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Curl of conservative force

1. Dec 9, 2017 #1
    Why the curl of a conservative force field is zero everywhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Because a field being conservative is equivalent to having zero curl. This should be derived in any basic text on vector analysis.

4. Dec 9, 2017 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can your conservative force be written as a gradient of a scalar field?

5. Dec 9, 2017 #4
    Yes

6. Dec 9, 2017 #5
    ummm this didn't help

7. Dec 9, 2017 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Now take the curl of that gradient.

8. Dec 9, 2017 #7
    Ummm I'm looking for the physical meaning and significant of this

9. Dec 9, 2017 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I am saying you should find this explained in detail in any basic textbook. This makes me wonder what effort you spent on trying to find the answer before posting.

10. Dec 9, 2017 #9
    This is mentioned without any illustration in my physics book, and there is nothing called conservative force in mathematics to explain it in a math book

11. Dec 9, 2017 #10

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Perhaps not conservative force, but certainly conservative vector field. A conservative force field is just a conservative vector field describing a force.

12. Dec 9, 2017 #11
    Well, if u can find that then plz send me a link

13. Dec 9, 2017 #12

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Loosely speaking, non-zero curl means that the vector field "goes in circles" somewhere, that you can follow the vector at one point to another and eventually get back where you started without ever going against the direction of the vector field at some point. For example, if the vector field were describing the current at the surface of a body of water, non-zero curl would mean that there was a whirlpool somewhere, so you could go around and around in circles without ever having to go against the current.

But a force field with that property cannot be conservative because you can return to your starting point with more or less energy than you started with, depending on whether you went with the current or against it.

That's the "loosely speaking" hand-waving picture that may help you visualize the physical significance of the math. However, the truth is in the math, so your next step is to go back to one of the many mathematical proofs that the curl of a gradient is zero, work through that proof now that you have a picture in your mind.

14. Dec 9, 2017 #13

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

15. Dec 9, 2017 #14
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted