Find \nabla x curl E: Solve Using Properties of Vector Calculus

• Thread starter magnifik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl
In summary, by using the equations given and some properties of curl and divergence, you can find the value of \nabla \times (\nabla \times E) and simplify it using the original fields. You could also take the time derivative outside the curl, but it is recommended to confirm this before using it. Alternatively, you can use the equality \nabla \times (\nabla \times E) = \nabla (\nabla \cdot E) - \nabla^2 E to simplify the expression.
magnifik
given curl E = -1/c*([tex]\partial[/tex]H/[tex]\partial[/tex]t)
div E = 0
div H = 0
curl H = 1/c*([tex]\partial[/tex]E/[tex]\partial[/tex]t), find

[tex]\nabla[/tex] x ([tex]\nabla[/tex] x E)

how do i take [tex]\nabla[/tex] x curl E? i tried to do it by determinants, but I'm not sure which values correspond to the i, j, and k. so my next assumption is that there is some property that i can take advantage of to solve the problem. please help. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\nabla \times E = -\frac{1}{c} \frac{\partial H}{\partial t}
[/tex]

you could do it directly
[tex]
\nabla \times (\nabla \times E)
=\nabla \times ( -\frac{1}{c} \frac{\partial H}{\partial t})
=-\frac{1}{c}(\nabla \times \frac{\partial H}{\partial t})
[/tex]

and i think it should be ok to take the time derivative outside the curl, though you may want to confirm that...
[tex]
-\frac{1}{c}(\nabla \times \frac{\partial H}{\partial t})=-\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\nabla \times H)
[/tex]

and it should follow, otherwise, if you know the original field you could make use of the equality
[tex]
\nabla \times (\nabla \times E)
=\nabla (\nabla \cdot E) - \nabla^2 E
[/tex]

which should simplify with some of the other info

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of "Find ∇ x curl E"?

"Find ∇ x curl E" is a mathematical notation that indicates the calculation of the cross product between the gradient (∇) and the curl (curl) of the vector field E. This operation is used in vector calculus to find the direction and magnitude of the vector field's rotation at a specific point.

2. How can I solve "Find ∇ x curl E"?

Solving "Find ∇ x curl E" involves using the properties and rules of vector calculus, such as the product rule, chain rule, and vector identities. It also requires knowledge of how to calculate the gradient and curl of a vector field. By applying these techniques, you can simplify the expression and find the resulting vector.

3. What are the applications of "Find ∇ x curl E"?

"Find ∇ x curl E" has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve the study of vector fields. It is commonly used to analyze the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and other physical phenomena. It also has applications in computer graphics and computer vision.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving "Find ∇ x curl E"?

Some common mistakes when solving "Find ∇ x curl E" include forgetting to apply the product rule or chain rule correctly, not considering vector identities, and making errors in calculating the gradient or curl of the vector field. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check the calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. Are there any resources available to help with solving "Find ∇ x curl E"?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with solving "Find ∇ x curl E." These include textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems with solutions. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend a workshop on vector calculus to improve your understanding and problem-solving skills.