1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curl of the position vector

1. Jan 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

compute the curl of:

[tex]\vec{r}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{\vec{r}}{r^3}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z}[/tex]

[tex]r^3=(x^2+y^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured out that the curl of [tex]\vec{r} = 0[/tex] as my book says it should be....

however...I also need to prove the second vector field up there also is equal to 0...Is it as simple as saying this?:

since [tex]∇\times\vec{r}=0 [/tex]... therefore, [tex]∇\times\vec{r}(\frac{1}{r^3})=0[/tex] as well. ?????

My book states that we should be able to see that these equal zero before doing the calculations to save us time

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's simple to say that. To prove it you need a vector calculus identity about the curl of a vector times a function. Do you know one? And yes, if you have that, there is no need do the whole calculation.

4. Jan 9, 2013 #3
    We have not learned one yet, the last problem I did was a proof of [tex]∇\times∇ψ(\vec{r})=0[/tex] and that was the problem directly before this, so no identities like you mentioned thus far.

5. Jan 9, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, that works too. What's the gradient of 1/r?

6. Jan 9, 2013 #5
    gradient of 1/r is [tex]-\frac{\vec{r}}{r^3}[/tex]

7. Jan 9, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so? The curl of that must then be zero. That's what you proved in the previous exercise, right? How does that relate to your problem?

8. Jan 9, 2013 #7
    Cool thanks for that connection i totally missed haha...does this look sufficient?

[url=http://postimage.org/][PLAIN]http://s13.postimage.org/opdekff9z/photo_8.jpg[/url] upload photos[/PLAIN]

9. Jan 9, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, no. You proved that the curl of any gradient vector is zero in the previous exercise. You then showed that the vector r over r^3 is the gradient of -1/r. So the curl of vector r over r^3 is...??? The curl of ANY gradient is zero. That's where the skipping of some calculation comes in. You don't have to repeat the previous proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook