Measuring Output Power Using Atmel Tiny45 and Boost Converter

In summary: Without a current sensing resistor, you won't be able to calculate power (barring a CT). Can you post your schematic? We can't do your student work for you, but we can post hints and suggestions for you to consider to solve your problem.
carvinrose
HI,

How do i feed the current information into micro-controllers ADC input to calculate the total power?

Please help. I am using atmel tiny45 and its a boost converter output current i want to measure for output power.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ADCs measure voltage, just connect the ADC across a suitable resistor with the current flowing through it.
It's a balance between a resistor that's small enough not to use too much power and to produce a voltage difference big enough to measure accurately

carvinrose said:
HI,

How do i feed the current information into micro-controllers ADC input to calculate the total power?

Please help. I am using atmel tiny45 and its a boost converter output current i want to measure for output power.

Thanks.

Does your boost DC-DC use a current-sensing resistor for current liminting? If so, you can do a differential voltage measurement across it (like with an opamp), and drive that voltage into the ADC to sense the current. You may want to do some filtering of that signal, to lowpass to get the average current.

berkeman said:
Does your boost DC-DC use a current-sensing resistor for current liminting? If so, you can do a differential voltage measurement across it (like with an opamp), and drive that voltage into the ADC to sense the current. You may want to do some filtering of that signal, to lowpass to get the average current.

No i don't have a current sensing resistor. Although i have two resistors in series to measure the output voltage. But how do i measure the current at the output?

carvinrose said:
No i don't have a current sensing resistor. Although i have two resistors in series to measure the output voltage. But how do i measure the current at the output?

Without a series current sensing resistor, you won't be able to calculate power (barring a CT). Can you post your schematic? We can't do your student work for you, but we can post hints and suggestions for you to consider to solve your problem.

Quiz Question for extra credit -- how is the duty cycle of your boost related to the output voltage?

berkeman said:
Without a series current sensing resistor, you won't be able to calculate power (barring a CT). Can you post your schematic? We can't do your student work for you, but we can post hints and suggestions for you to consider to solve your problem.

Quiz Question for extra credit -- how is the duty cycle of your boost related to the output voltage?

Lol i know i need a resistor but i need more information i guess what i have to do is measure the voltage drop then divide by the resistor to get the current value? i have searched the net but haven't found anything. Well my goal is to extract maximum power so all i am planning to do is measure the output voltage and measure the output current multiply them to get output power than increase the duty cycle and measure the output power again. Then compare them if power increased then increase duty cycle further then compare again if power decreased than decrease duty cycle to change the output voltage. It's pretty simple. But how to get the current information into micro controller is the problem right now.

Thanks

1. How do I measure output power using the Atmel Tiny45 and Boost Converter?

To measure the output power of the Atmel Tiny45 and Boost Converter, you will need to use a multimeter or oscilloscope. Connect the positive lead of the multimeter or oscilloscope to the output pin of the Boost Converter and the negative lead to ground. Then, read the voltage and current measurements and multiply them together to calculate the output power.

2. What is the maximum output power that can be achieved with the Atmel Tiny45 and Boost Converter?

The maximum output power of the Atmel Tiny45 and Boost Converter will depend on the input voltage and current, as well as the efficiency of the Boost Converter. The datasheet for the Boost Converter should provide information on its maximum output power capabilities.

3. What is the purpose of using the Atmel Tiny45 in conjunction with the Boost Converter?

The Atmel Tiny45 is a microcontroller that can be programmed to control the Boost Converter. This allows for more precise control and monitoring of the output power, as well as the ability to adjust settings and parameters for different applications.

4. How do I determine the efficiency of the Atmel Tiny45 and Boost Converter?

To determine the efficiency of the Atmel Tiny45 and Boost Converter, you will need to measure the input and output power and calculate the ratio between them. The efficiency can be calculated using the formula: Efficiency = (Output Power / Input Power) x 100%.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when measuring output power with the Atmel Tiny45 and Boost Converter?

It is important to always follow proper safety precautions when working with electrical components. Make sure to disconnect all power sources before making any measurements and to wear appropriate protective gear. Additionally, be aware of the voltage and current levels you are working with and take necessary precautions to avoid electric shock.