Current Algebra: Find Current in Electric Circuit w/ 3 Resisters of R

In summary, the current in a cell that has three identical resistors in an electric circuit with negligible internal resistance is 2E/3R.
calculator20

Homework Statement

An electric circuit consists of 3 identical resistors of resistance R connected to a cell of emf E and negligible internal resistance. What is the magnitude of the current in the cell? (in the diagram two of the resistors are in parallel with each other then the other in series with that pair)

Homework Equations

I = V/R

1/R = 1/r + 1/r +...

R = r1 + r2

The Attempt at a Solution

It's a multiple choice question and the answer is 2E/3R but I can't see where that has come from.

If I said that R was 2 ohms then the combined resistance would be 3 ohms but that doesn't help. I can't see where the 2/3 has come from please help, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Evaluate the total resistance symbolically.

calculator20 said:

Homework Statement

An electric circuit consists of 3 identical resistors of resistance R connected to a cell of emf E and negligible internal resistance. What is the magnitude of the current in the cell? (in the diagram two of the resistors are in parallel with each other then the other in series with that pair)

Homework Equations

I = V/R

1/R = 1/r + 1/r +...

R = r1 + r2

The Attempt at a Solution

It's a multiple choice question and the answer is 2E/3R but I can't see where that has come from.

If I said that R was 2 ohms then the combined resistance would be 3 ohms but that doesn't help. I can't see where the 2/3 has come from please help, thank you
Can you calculate what the equivalent resistance of this circuit is?

I think it's (R1xR2)/(R1+R2) for the parallel part then (R1xR2)/(R1+R2) + R to add the series part in but don't know how to combine those?

calculator20 said:
I think it's (R1xR2)/(R1+R2) for the parallel part then (R1xR2)/(R1+R2) + R to add the series part in but don't know how to combine those?

In order to add fractions, you need to have the same denominator in both.

and remember that all three resistors are identical. This will come in handy when simplifying your result.

Ok so ((RxR)/(R+R)) + R

(2R/2R) + R? I don't think that's right but don't understand how I would get the same denominator either

calculator20 said:
Ok so ((RxR)/(R+R)) + R

(2R/2R) + R? I don't think that's right but don't understand how I would get the same denominator either

Not quite.

##\frac{R \times R}{R + R} + R = \frac{R^2}{2R} + R ##

If you were asked ##\frac{1}{2} + 1 = ?##, you would need to recognise that this is equivalent to ##\frac{1}{2} + \frac{2}{2} = \frac{1 + 2}{2}##.

You need to use this very same trick.

1/2 R2/R +R/R

Do I have to separate the square now? Sorry, still can't see how I'm going to get the 2/3. Really appreciate your help so far

(1/2R2 + R)/R?

calculator20 said:
1/2 R2/R +R/R

Do I have to separate the square now? Sorry, still can't see how I'm going to get the 2/3. Really appreciate your help so far

##\frac{R^2}{2R} + R##

If you simplify this expression, what do you get?

Edit - Sorry, this is my final edit. I misread what you typed.

Last edited:
R2/2R?

calculator20 said:
R2/2R?

If you cancel the ##R## terms in the fraction, you get ##\frac{R}{2} + R = \frac{3R}{2}##

Thank you so much that makes sense!

calculator20 said:
Thank you so much that makes sense!

You're welcome.

To recap (so you have the entire argument in one place):

Two resistors in parallel: ##\frac{1}{R_{eq}} = \frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2} ##.
The equivalent resistance of this pair is therefore ##\frac{R_1 \times R_2}{R_1 + R_2}##

Two resistors in series: ##R_{eq} = R_1 + R_2##

In your situation, you treat the equivalent resistance of the parallel setup, as a single resistor in series with your third resistor.

##R_{total} = \frac{R_1 \times R_2}{R_1 + R_2} + R_3##

Since ##R_1 = R_2 = R_3##

##R_{total} = \frac{R^2}{2R} + R = \frac{R}{2} + R = \frac{3R}{2}##

and then it is just the case of applying ohm's law.

1. What is current algebra?

Current algebra is a branch of physics that deals with the analysis of electric circuits. It uses equations and principles to find the current and voltage in a circuit, taking into account the resistance of each component.

2. How do you find current in an electric circuit with 3 resistors?

To find the current in an electric circuit with 3 resistors, you can use Ohm's Law (I=V/R) or Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws. First, calculate the total resistance of the circuit by adding the resistances of the 3 resistors. Then, use Ohm's Law to find the current by dividing the voltage by the total resistance.

3. What information do you need to find current in an electric circuit?

To find current in an electric circuit, you need to know the values of the resistors, the voltage of the power source, and the type of circuit (series or parallel). Additionally, you may need to know the direction of the current flow and the internal resistance of the power source.

4. Can current algebra be used for circuits with more than 3 resistors?

Yes, current algebra can be used for circuits with any number of resistors. The process is the same as with 3 resistors, where you calculate the total resistance and use Ohm's Law to find the current. However, the equations may become more complex for circuits with more resistors.

5. What is the purpose of finding current in an electric circuit?

Finding current in an electric circuit is important for understanding the behavior of the circuit and ensuring it operates properly. It also allows for the calculation of other important quantities, such as power and energy. Additionally, knowing the current can help with troubleshooting and identifying any issues in the circuit.