1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current and Current Density

1. Feb 24, 2008 #1
    a) The current density across a cylindrical conductor of radius R varies according tot he equation j = jo(1-r/R)
    where r is the distance from the axis. Thus the current density is a maximum jo at the axis r=0 and decreases linearly to zero at the surface r=R. Calculate the current in terms of jo and the conductor's cross sectional area A = piR^2

so i took i = integral from 0 to R of jdA
    i = jopiR^2(r-r^2/2R) |(0,R)
    i = jopiR^2(R-(R/2) = (1/2)jopiR^3

b) Suppose that instead the current density is a maximum jo at the surface and decreases linearly to zero on the axis, so that
    j = jor/R

so i did the same thing and got
    i=jopiR(R^2/2) = (1/2)jopiR^3

Why is the result different from a?
    I realized at this point in the question that I must have made a mistake, as I got the same result from b as i did in a

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2008 #2
    anyone?

4. Feb 26, 2008 #3
    You may want to try making dA an infinitesimal ring so that dA = 2(Pi)(r)(dr) I believe you will get something like 1/2 and 1/6 R^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?