What happens to current and voltage in a superconductor with zero resistance?

In summary: Power goes toward infiniy, but yes: for real sources, internal limitations get in the way (for batteries: internal resistance, for generators: prime mover power capacity).We have superconductors thst have zero resistance. We can put a finite current through a superconductor and the voltage difference from one end to the other will be zero. Where is the mystery in that?
Sagar Singh
Hi there!
as wee all know V=IR
v= potential difference
I=current
R=resistance
so => I=V/R
and somehow we make Resistance almost equal to 0
then I=V/0
will I become infinity?
or what?

what will happen?
Please clear every situation to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sagar Singh said:
Hi there!
as wee all know V=IR
v= potential difference
I=current
R=resistance
so => I=V/R
and somehow we make Resistance almost equal to 0
then I=V/0
will I become infinity?
or what?

what will happen?
Please clear every situation to me?

You can't do this. If R=0, then you will not have any potential difference, I.e, you have a short! Current doesn't go to "infinity".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You can't do this. If R=0, then you will not have any potential difference, I.e, you have a short! Current doesn't go to "infinity".

Zz.
Why there will be no potential difference> what is the relation between potential difference and resistance?

As resistance gets smaller, current gets larger, yes. But there are limits for real systems.

russ_watters said:
As resistance gets smaller, current gets larger, yes. But there are limits for real systems.
LIMITS?? can you please elaborate

Sagar Singh said:
Well, let's say you take the output of ALL of the generating stations on Earth. That's going to give you a lot of current capacity. Let's call it 14 zillion amps. OK, now I make R even smaller. Where are you going to get any more current capacity? You can't, so your concept of the equation fails. That's a limit on a real system (and not REALLY a real system, since there are other complications in trying to tie together all the generators on Earth).

Likes Sagar Singh
Sagar Singh said:
There is also P=IV. Combining that with your expression gives P=V^2/R. So as R goes to 0 so does the power if V is fixed. So the limit is that no real voltage source will actually be able to deliver a constant voltage at arbitrarily low resistance.

Likes Sagar Singh
DaleSpam said:
There is also P=IV. Combining that with your expression gives P=V^2/R. So as R goes to 0 so does the power if V is fixed. So the limit is that no real voltage source will actually be able to deliver a constant voltage at arbitrarily low resistance.
Power goes toward infiniy, but yes: for real sources, internal limitations get in the way (for batteries: internal resistance, for generators: prime mover power capacity).

Likes Sagar Singh
We have superconductors thst have zero resistance. We can put a finite current through a superconductor and the voltage difference from one end to the other will be zero. Where is the mystery in that?

We get this question frequently, where people thing that we can set V and I and R to any aribtrary value, and what then? In real life, we can only achieve reasonable value of V and I. R can be measured as the ratio of V to I. No mystery, no infinities.

Likes Sagar Singh

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrons. It is commonly used to power devices and machines, as well as provide lighting and heating for homes and buildings.

2. How is electricity created?

Electricity can be created in a variety of ways, but the most common method is through the use of generators. Generators use mechanical energy, such as steam or wind, to turn a turbine which then spins a magnet inside a coil of wire to create an electrical current.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is the type of electricity used in most homes and buildings. It constantly changes direction and is able to travel long distances without losing much energy. DC (direct current) electricity, on the other hand, flows in only one direction and is commonly used in smaller devices such as batteries and electronic circuits.

4. How is electricity measured?

The unit of measurement for electricity is the watt, which is a measure of power. Electricity usage is typically measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh), which is the amount of energy used in one hour at a rate of one kilowatt.

5. What are some common uses for electricity?

Electricity has a wide range of uses, including powering lights, appliances, and electronics in homes and businesses. It is also used in transportation, such as powering electric cars and trains. In addition, electricity is essential for industry and manufacturing processes.