1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current and photons.

1. Jan 8, 2007 #1
    I'm ignoring the template because I don't think it's appropiate for the help I want.

The problem I'm given:
    How many electrons per second strike the target in an X-ray tube operating at a current of 50mA?

First off, if this is an X-ray tube, where are these electrons coming from, the target? And how why is current for photons measured in amperes? I thought there needed to be charge for there to be current.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First off, maybe you should look up "X ray tube". The electrons are accelerated in the tube then hit a target generating the x-rays. That is the current referred to.

4. Jan 8, 2007 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An X-ray tube is basically a discharge tube (i.e. a neon or fluorescent light) with a tungsten plate at one end acting as an annode. Electrons travel across a vacuum with high energy and excite tungsten atoms which then emit X-rays when they return to ground level. This question therefore has nothing to do with X-rays but is mainly an electronics question. What relation do you know that links current and charge, and what do you know of the charge on an electron?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?