• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Current and Resistance

• Thread starter 4eleven
  • Start date
The headlights of a certain moving car require 11 A from the 12 V alternator, which is driven by the engine. Assume the alternator is 84% efficient (its output electrical power is 84% of its input mechanical power), and calculate the power (in hp) the engine must supply to run the lights.

I plugged the equation into P = iV and multiplied it by .84 efficiency, then got my answer in watts, which I converted to hp. When I checked in my book, however, the answer was not correct. I'm pretty much stumped on how else to approach it.

Answers and Replies

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The headlights of a certain moving car require 11 A from the 12 V alternator, which is driven by the engine. Assume the alternator is 84% efficient (its output electrical power is 84% of its input mechanical power), and calculate the power (in hp) the engine must supply to run the lights.

I plugged the equation into P = iV and multiplied it by .84 efficiency, then got my answer in watts, which I converted to hp. When I checked in my book, however, the answer was not correct. I'm pretty much stumped on how else to approach it.
You should be dividing by .84, not multiplying by it:

[tex]P_{out}=.84P_{in}[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]P_{in}=\frac{P_{out}}{.84}=\frac{iV}{.84}[/tex]

See where you went wrong?

Next time, please post homework type questions in the appropriate homework help forum.

Ah! Yes!! Thank you so much!!

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Anytime.:smile: