Current and Time in RL Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with an emf of 10V connected to an RL circuit for a long time and then switched to a different position. The current in the circuit at a specific time and when it will drop to a specific value are calculated using the discharge equation for RL circuits. The initial current is determined using Ohm's Law. The answers provided are correct.
musiliu

Homework Statement

An emf of 10V is connected to the RL circuit (R = 10 Ohms, L = 1.0 H)
shown below for long, long time (the switch is in position 1). Then, at t = 0
the switch is thrown into position 2. Find the current in the circuit at t = 0.2
s. When will the current drop to 0.001 A?
[PLAIN]http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5139/physicsproblem.jpg

Homework Equations

"Discharge" of RL circuit: I(t) = I0e-Rt/L

The Attempt at a Solution

Part 1:
This looks like simple plug-in problem:
I0 = E / R after "long, long time"
E = 10 V, R = 10 Ohms, L = 1 Henry
I(0.2) = 0.135 A

Part 2:
I set I = .001 A and solved for t:
t = 0.691 s

Are my answers correct and did i do this problem correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What did you use as Io, how did you do part 2?

I used Io equal to E / R, voltage over resistance from Ohm's Law, because for "long, long time", the initial current is equal to that...

so is my answer correct?

Your answers are correct. ehild

I cannot confirm the accuracy of your answers without reviewing your calculations and methodology. However, your approach seems reasonable and the equations you used are appropriate for solving this problem. I would suggest double checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it may be helpful to plot the current vs. time graph to visualize the behavior of the circuit and confirm your answers.

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and an inductor (L). The resistor controls the flow of current, while the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field.

2. How does current behave in an RL circuit?

In an RL circuit, current starts at zero and gradually increases to its maximum value as the inductor charges up. Once the inductor is fully charged, current stops flowing through the circuit.

3. What is the relationship between current and time in an RL circuit?

The relationship between current and time in an RL circuit is described by an exponential function. As time increases, the current in the circuit decreases at a rate determined by the values of the resistor and inductor.

4. How does the time constant affect the behavior of an RL circuit?

The time constant is a measure of how quickly the current in an RL circuit changes. A smaller time constant means the current will change more quickly, while a larger time constant means the current will change more slowly.

5. How is the time constant calculated in an RL circuit?

The time constant (τ) in an RL circuit can be calculated by dividing the inductance (L) by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the formula τ = L/R.