1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current at a node

1. Jun 14, 2015 #1
    From the very straightforward kirchoff's current law, based on conservation of charge, currents entering the junction is equal to the currents leaving the junction.

I was wondering how using the equation i = n.e.A.vd, we could justify that the currents change between different paths at a junction.

n is the number of charge carriers per unit volume, that clearly doesn't change
    e= electronic charge, doesn't change
    A, cross-sectional area of the wire, I believe this changes, but I'm not too sure
    vd, drift velocity = eEτ/m, where e is electronic charge, τ is relaxation time, m is mass, and E is electric field across the conductor, i don't think τ changes, but E i'm not sure about again.

Furthermore, does current density stay the same at a junction??

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2015 #2
    I think the problem with this approach is getting E. Normally, E would be calculated from i (via Kirchoff's law) and the physical parameters of the conductors.

The current density would normally not stay the same through the node unless the node were designed specifically to produce that result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook