1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current Balance Concept

1. May 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm doing an assignment involving a current balance, and the one thing I don't understand is the currents.

I have two separate currents, one labeled "Current in Solenoid" and another labeled "Current in Loop".

Now, I know the current in the loop is the part that causes the magnetic field, and the current and the magnetic field cause the force downward that balances the weight on the other end (Fm=ILB), but what is the current in the solenoid indicate (what are these two currents relationships to each other?).

If anyone can help nudge me in the right direction on this, it would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Relevant equations
    Fm=ILB, Fg=Fm

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2009 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure what the exact setup is, but if you want a magnetic force between two wires, there must be some current in both of them. I am guessing that your solenoid is probably the source of the magnetic field and this magnetic field creates a magnetic force on the other loop. If there was only a current in the solenoid or only in th eloop, there would be no force

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook