Current Between Long Straight Conducting Wires

In summary: Your Name]In summary, two identical long straight conducting wires with a mass per unit length of 25.0 g/m are resting parallel to each other on a table. The wires are separated by 2.5 mm and are carrying currents in opposite directions. In order for the wires to start moving, the force due to the magnetic field must equal the force of friction. To find the minimum current needed, you can use the equation IB = 0.025muo(s)g/B, where the radius can be approximated as 2.5 mm.
futurepocket

Homework Statement

Two identical long straight conducting wires with a mass per unit length of 25.0 g/m are resting parallel to each other on a table. The wires are separated by 2.5 mm and are carrying currents in opposite directions.

a) If the coefficient of static friction between the wires and the table is 0.035, what minimum current is necessary to make the wires start to move?
b) Do the wires move closer together or farther apart?

Homework Equations

F(b) = ILB
B = muo(0)I/2pi(r)
F(sf) = muo(s)F(n)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I realized that for the wires to start moving, the force due to the magnetic field has to equal (match) the force of friction, so I equate the two:

F(b) = ILB = muo(s)F(n)

Then, I realize that F(n) = mg

ILB = muo(s)mg

If you divide out the length, you can get the mass per unit length, so you get:

IB = 0.025muo(s)g
I = 0.025muo(s)g / B

I know the equation to solve for the magnetic field, but at which point am I solving it for so I know the radius to use? You can't really use the center between the wires because the currents are in opposite direction and they are equal, so in the center of the two wires, the magnetic field is 0. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow student,

Thank you for your post and your attempt at solving this problem. You are on the right track in equating the forces of the magnetic field and friction in order to find the minimum current needed to make the wires start to move.

To answer your question about which radius to use in the equation for the magnetic field, you will need to consider the distance between the wires (2.5 mm) and the radius of each wire. Since the wires are parallel and the currents are in opposite directions, the magnetic field due to each wire will cancel out at the center point between them. However, the magnetic field from each wire will still be present at a distance of 2.5 mm from the center point. Therefore, you can use this distance as the radius in the equation for the magnetic field.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the definition of current between long straight conducting wires?

The current between long straight conducting wires refers to the flow of electric charge or electrons through the wires due to the difference in potential between the two ends of the wires.

2. How is the current between long straight conducting wires calculated?

The current between long straight conducting wires can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the current is directly proportional to the potential difference (voltage) and inversely proportional to the resistance of the wires.

3. What factors affect the current between long straight conducting wires?

The current between long straight conducting wires is affected by the voltage difference, the resistance of the wires, and the length and cross-sectional area of the wires.

4. Why is the current between long straight conducting wires important?

The current between long straight conducting wires is important because it is the basis for electric power transmission, which allows electricity to be transported over long distances to power homes, businesses, and industries.

5. How does the current between long straight conducting wires differ from the current between curved or coiled wires?

The current between long straight conducting wires is different from the current between curved or coiled wires because the shape of the wires affects the resistance, which in turn affects the current. Curved or coiled wires have a higher resistance compared to straight wires, resulting in a lower current for the same voltage difference.