Calculating the Radius of a Rotating Coil in a Magnetic Field

In summary, two coils with the same number of circular turns and carrying the same current rotate in different magnetic fields. The first coil has a radius of 5.5 cm and rotates in a 0.17 T field, while the second coil rotates in a 0.42 T field. Both coils experience the same maximum torque. To find the radius of the second coil, we use the formula A=(pi)r^2, where A is the area of the coil and r is the radius. We know that the area of the second coil is equal to the area of the first coil, so we can set up the equation AB=ab. Solving for A, we get A=38.46. Using this value for
buckeyes
Two coils have the same number of circular turns and carry the same current. Each rotates in a magnetic field in a setup similar to the square coil in the figure below. Coil 1 has a radius of 5.5 cm and rotates in a 0.17 T field. Coil 2 rotates in a 0.42 T field. Each coil experiences the same maximum torque. What is the radius (in cm) of coil 2?

http://www.webassign.net/CJ/21-21.gif

here is what i tried.
i found the area of the first coil by using a=(pi)r(squared) =(95.03)
next i used the formula t=NAIB for both coils. since i know they both have the same N, I, and t, i can combine the two formulas ending up with AB=ab (cap letters represent 1st coil, lowercase letters represent coil 2) i know all variables except A. now i can find A=38.46. now i can find r of the second coil using A=(pi)r(squared) i found r to be 10.99cm but this is wrong. where did i mess up?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe everything looks good up to A=38.46

So the area's smaller than the other coil's area, but the radius is bigger? Check your math again

got it. thank you. :)

1. What is a current carrying coil?

A current carrying coil is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a wire or multiple wires wound into a spiral shape. When an electric current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field.

2. How does a current carrying coil work?

A current carrying coil works by using the principle of electromagnetism, where an electric current running through a wire creates a magnetic field. The coil amplifies this magnetic field due to the shape and arrangement of the wire, making it stronger than that of a straight wire.

3. What are the applications of current carrying coils?

Current carrying coils have a wide range of applications in various industries, including electromagnets, transformers, motors, generators, and inductors. They are also commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, speakers, and MRI machines.

4. How does the number of turns in a current carrying coil affect its magnetic field?

The number of turns in a current carrying coil directly affects the strength of its magnetic field. A coil with more turns will have a stronger magnetic field, while a coil with fewer turns will have a weaker magnetic field.

5. How can the strength of a current carrying coil's magnetic field be increased?

The strength of a current carrying coil's magnetic field can be increased by increasing the current flow through the coil, increasing the number of turns in the coil, or by using a core material with high magnetic permeability such as iron or ferrite.