1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current carrying coils

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    Two coils have the same number of circular turns and carry the same current. Each rotates in a magnetic field in a setup similar to the square coil in the figure below. Coil 1 has a radius of 5.5 cm and rotates in a 0.17 T field. Coil 2 rotates in a 0.42 T field. Each coil experiences the same maximum torque. What is the radius (in cm) of coil 2?

http://www.webassign.net/CJ/21-21.gif

here is what i tried.
    i found the area of the first coil by using a=(pi)r(squared) =(95.03)
    next i used the formula t=NAIB for both coils. since i know they both have the same N, I, and t, i can combine the two formulas ending up with AB=ab (cap letters represent 1st coil, lowercase letters represent coil 2) i know all variables except A. now i can find A=38.46. now i can find r of the second coil using A=(pi)r(squared) i found r to be 10.99cm but this is wrong. where did i mess up?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2
    I believe everything looks good up to A=38.46

So the area's smaller than the other coil's area, but the radius is bigger? Check your math again

4. Feb 11, 2008 #3
    got it. thank you. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?