Current carrying infinite wire

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force exerted by an infinitely long current carrying wire on a circular loop of radius 'r' placed at a distance 'r' from the wire. The formula used is dF=i{dlxB} where B is the magnetic field due to the infinitely long wire at the length element dl which is to be integrated. The direction and magnitude of B are important to consider, as well as the integration angle and distances involved. The final answer is 2* μo/2π*I*i*Intg[ r*cosθ*dθ/r(2 + cosθ)] from 0 to pi.
zd1899
Q)An infinitely long current carrying wire , carrying current I moving towards positive Y is placed along Y-axis. In the X-Y plane , a circular loop of radius 'r' is placed at a distance 'r' from the wire carrying current 'i' in anticlockwise circulation. Find the force exerted by the infinite wire on the loop.

Homework Equations

Acc. to me the only equation required should be
dF=i {dlxB} where B is the magnetic field due to the infinitely long wire at the length element dl which is to be integrated .

The Attempt at a Solution

dF=i{dlxB}
dF= (i*U*I/2pi) * 1/r *dl (assuming dl to be a small length element on the loop.
where r is the distance of dl.

i replaced dl by rd$ where $ is the small angle and now wished to integrate along $ from 0 to 2pi but B has a dependence on 'r' only as it decreases along X axis. so i am stuck on how to integrate B along with d$.

Physics news on Phys.org
zd1899 said:
Q)An infinitely long current carrying wire , carrying current I moving towards positive Y is placed along Y-axis. In the X-Y plane , a circular loop of radius 'r' is placed at a distance 'r' from the wire carrying current 'i' in anticlockwise circulation. Find the force exerted by the infinite wire on the loop.

Homework Equations

Acc. to me the only equation required should be
dF=i {dlxB} where B is the magnetic field due to the infinitely long wire at the length element dl which is to be integrated .

The Attempt at a Solution

dF=i{dlxB}
dF= (i*U*I/2pi) * 1/r *dl (assuming dl to be a small length element on the loop.

i replaced dl by rd$

You are missing your unit vectors here for dl and B. It is important here to keep track of the direction or you will miss some important cancellations. (Notice that dl points in different directions as you move along the circle.)

where $ is the small angle and now wished to integrate along $ from 0 to 2pi but B has a dependence on 'r' only as it decreases along X axis.

That's true, but this r is the distance from the wire to the current element dl, and that distance will depend on your integration angle. (That is, replace the distance with an expression that involves theta.)

(By the way, you are using the symbol r for two different things in this problem: the given distances, and the distance from wire to current element. I would suggest changing one of them so there's no confusion.)

alphysicist said:
You are missing your unit vectors here for dl and B. It is important here to keep track of the direction or you will miss some important cancellations. (Notice that dl points in different directions as you move along the circle.)

That's true, but this r is the distance from the wire to the current element dl, and that distance will depend on your integration angle. (That is, replace the distance with an expression that involves theta.)

(By the way, you are using the symbol r for two different things in this problem: the given distances, and the distance from wire to current element. I would suggest changing one of them so there's no confusion.)

Thats the main trouble , i am not able to find a way to get the dependence of B on $ because B is just dependent on distance from the wire. And i have already judged the directions , its the magnitude that bothers me.

zd1899 said:
Thats the main trouble , i am not able to find a way to get the dependence of B on $ because B is just dependent on distance from the wire. And i have already judged the directions , its the magnitude that bothers me.

So we're talking about the same thing, look at this picture:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1123/wireandloop.jpg

So when the integration angle is theta, what is the distance between the wire and the current element dl (the bold arrow on the circle)?

Last edited by a moderator:
r + r(1-cos$) ?

zd1899 said:

dF=i{dlxB}

i replaced dl by rd$ where $ is the small angle and now wished to integrate along $ from 0 to 2pi but B has a dependence on 'r' only as it decreases along X axis. so i am stuck on how to integrate B along with d$.
The force on a small element dl on the circular loop is given by
dF = μο/2π*I*i*1/x*dl.
dF is perpendicular to dl. Its vertical components dF*sinθ from upper and lower semicircular coils get canceled out. The horizontal components 2dFcosθ add up.
Substitute dl = r*dθ and x = 2r + r*cosθ.
To find F, take the integration form 0 to π.

Last edited:
zd1899 said:
r + r(1-cos$) ?

If you have theta as in my picture, it would be r + r(1+cos theta) = r (2+cos theta)

If you are starting your integration on the left side (so that theta=0 corresponds to the leftmost point of the circle), then your expression would be correct.

@ rl.bhat why 0 to pi?? why not o to 2pi?

@alphysicist
yes i took it from the left actually and after pi/2 cos which change the sign as it will be pi-theta.

can some1 tell me the final answer so that i can confirm it? i do not have the answer.

zd1899 said:
@ rl.bhat why 0 to pi?? why not o to 2pi?
Because I have taken two symmetric elements from upper and lower semicircles and I have resolved the forces acting on them. Horizontal components add up and vertical components cancel each other.
So F =2* μo/2π*I*i*Intg[ r*cosθ*dθ/r(2 + cosθ)] form 0 to π

Last edited:

1. What is an infinite wire?

An infinite wire is a hypothetical wire that extends infinitely in both directions. It is often used in physics and engineering calculations as a simplified model for a long wire with a constant current.

2. How does current flow in an infinite wire?

In an ideal infinite wire, current flows uniformly in a straight line along the wire. This is because there are no end points or boundaries to disrupt the flow of electrons.

3. What is the magnetic field around an infinite wire carrying current?

The magnetic field around an infinite wire carrying current is circular and perpendicular to the wire. The strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the wire increases.

4. How does the direction of current affect the magnetic field around an infinite wire?

The direction of current in an infinite wire determines the direction of the magnetic field. The magnetic field will be clockwise if the current is flowing towards the observer and counterclockwise if the current is flowing away from the observer.

5. What is the mathematical formula for the magnetic field around an infinite wire?

The magnetic field (B) around an infinite wire can be calculated using the formula B = μ0*I/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.