1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current circuit

1. Jul 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want so show that U1=U*R2/(R1+R2) (sorry latex didn't work for me right now, don't know why)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the solution but I don't understand one step:
    The solution says the following: the fall of voltage at U1 = R2*I (I is the current which comes from U). Why is that? Thats doesn't make sense to me, because I thought the current "splits" at this spot so I have: I=I1+I2.
    Why does the solution say it's U=R2*I

Thanks for the help

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2011 #2
    well u is the emf of the source right ?
    but what is this ---------u1 ? wat's U1

4. Jul 9, 2011 #3
    I don't know how to describe it properly in english, but I think it's the voltage which drains off. I think the english term is voltage divider. But as I'am writing this I think I oversaw something.
    The resistances are in series so the current is everywhere the same. Is this the right solution for the problem?

5. Jul 9, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

That's because the current does not really split.
    The point where U1 is measured is not attached to anything, so no current flows.

This is indeed *only* a voltage divider.
    Of course, when something (significant) is attached, the currents and voltages will change.

6. Jul 9, 2011 #5
    Ok, I didn't recognize that I have to handle it this way. Thanks for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook