Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current Data for the world records most (efficient) Catalyst reaction

1. Sep 22, 2005 #1
    Does anybody have the current Data for the world records most (efficient) Catalyst reaction to date?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

I don't know that anyone keeps track of this sort of thing...

There are different ways of measuring efficiency of a catalyst too though; you can look at turnover frequency (number of times the catalyst completes the catalytic process per unit time) or you can look at the turnover number (the number of times which the catalyst can complete the catalytic process before decomposition of the catalyst). One is a kinetic effect while the other is more of an overall ability of the catalyst. The best metal based catalysts I can think of are ruthenium based ones that can give TONs in the millions and rhodium catalysts which can give TONs in the hundreds of thousands. I rarely look at TOF numbers, but I have seen Rh and Au catalysts with TOF as high as 400 TO/hr.

The most efficient catalyst is probably an enzyme though. Enzymes are built to be stable for a long period of time under biological conditions so their theoretical TONs would be astronomical compared to metal catalysts. TOFs are probably better too, but that probably varies a lot too because some biological processes don't need a high TOF, but some others need a very, very high TOF. Some TOFs for enzymes are reported in TO/sec; I have seen as high as 4.2 TO/sec, which translates to over 15000 TO/hr.

There may very well be better ones out there, but I don't read much bio literature so I don't really know.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?