1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current density and skin depth

1. Dec 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin metallic strip on a circuit board has length L, width a and thickness t, with L>>a>> t. Derive an expression for the resistance between the ends of the strip at frequency f, assuming that the skin depth is small compared with the thickness t.

2. Relevant equations
    The book where I took this problem from explains that for an electromagnetic wave polarized in the x-direction and travelling in the z-direction through a conducting medium where ω << 1/τc (1/τc being the frequency of collisions between an electron and the lattice) the electric field is the real part of E = E0e-z/δei(z/δ-ωt)ex (where δ is the skin depth).

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I am puzzled by is that the solution says that the current density is

J(z)= σE(z) = σE0e-z/δ,

so my question is: where has the real part of ei(z/δ-ωt) gone?

I'd be very grateful for any pointers on this.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted