1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current Density

1. May 15, 2004 #1
    Let E=Eo (err...free space, not sure how to represent the symbols)
    V=90z^(4/3) in the region z=0(Potential)
    a) Find expressions for E,D and pv (volume charge density) as functions of z

My work:
    E=-div V=0+0)120z^(1/3)az=120z^(1/3)az V/m
    D=Eo E=1.062z^(1/3)az nC/m^2
    pv=div D=.354/z^(2/3) nC/m^3

b)If the velocity of the charge density is given as vx=5x10^6 *z^(2/3) m/s, find Jz (current density) at z=0 and z=.1m

My work:
    Now this is where I am confused because J=pv*v (volume charge density*velocity vector). And the book only gives the x component of the velocity vector and asks for the z component of the current density. If you ask me, that means the z component of the current density is 0, but I have no way of checking my answer.

Is this correct?
    Last edited: May 16, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2004 #2
    Still not sure about part b of this one, and running into more problems with the stuff :cry:
  4. May 18, 2004 #3
    Teacher posted solutions today....

had Jz=Pv*Vx ...

Still don't believe that though unless it was a misprint in the book or something ... doesn't make sense to me
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?