Current Density: Research by Mechanical Engineering Student

In summary, current will flow around the path of least resistance according to Ohm's Law. This can be verified through FEA simulations.
spdale
Hi

I am a research student looking at electrical current flow through various materials although my undergraduate degree was in mechanical engineering so electrical stuff isn't my strong point.

I believe that current flow will flow through the path that offers the least resistance, and is analogous to heat flow, in other words, if you imagine a flat conductive material like the letter 'L' then the highest current density would be around the inside corner.

FEA simulations I have conducted show this, but I need to find an analytical solution to validate the results. Are there standard models to determine electrical current density in this manner? i.e. something that proves non-linear current density/distribution in the scenario described?

Any help appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Which forms of Ohm's Law are you using, this one?

[tex]\vec{J}[/tex] = [tex]\sigma[/tex] (del) E

Since Ohm's Law is a constitutive equation and your geometry is not continuous, I do not believe you will be able to find a simple analytical solution. I could be wrong, but I just can't think of a way you could analytically solve for such geometry.

Yes that variation of ohm's law seems the most appropriate, but I am quit stumped about how to validate my results. Common sense would indeed say that my FEA results are correct as you have these current 'hotspots' around the 90 degree bend in my example, however I appreciate it may not be easy to prove analytically without resorting to numerical finite element methods (which I don't want to do).

I have found one paper, regarding 90 degree bends in thin strip conductors, which states that the maximum current density is inversely proportional to the cube root of the inside corner radius so this may yield some analytical results. I was just wondering if there were any other solutions out there; ideally rather than just calculating a maximum I would like to calculate a distribution of current emanating from the maximum point. This solution I have seems quite abstract to be basing my FEA work on.

Thank you for reading and taking the time to respond!

1. What is current density?

Current density is a physical quantity that measures the amount of electric current flowing through a particular area. It is expressed in units of amperes per square meter (A/m^2) and is a measure of the concentration of current at a certain point in a material or circuit.

2. How is current density measured?

Current density can be measured using a variety of techniques, including using a Hall effect sensor to measure the magnetic field produced by the current, or by measuring the voltage drop across a known resistance in the circuit. In some cases, it may also be calculated using mathematical equations.

3. What factors affect current density?

Current density can be affected by a number of factors, including the material of the conductor, the cross-sectional area of the conductor, the temperature of the conductor, and the presence of any external magnetic fields. In addition, the type and strength of the power source supplying the current can also impact current density.

4. Why is current density important?

Current density plays a crucial role in understanding and designing electric circuits and devices. It can help engineers determine the appropriate size and type of conductors to use, as well as how much power a circuit can safely handle. In addition, it is a fundamental aspect of electromagnetism and is necessary for studying and predicting the behavior of electric currents.

5. How is current density used in mechanical engineering?

In mechanical engineering, current density is often used in the design and analysis of electrical systems and devices. For example, it is used to calculate the maximum safe current a wire can carry without overheating, which is important in the design of motors, generators, and other electrical components. Additionally, current density is used in the design of sensors and in the analysis of corrosion in metal structures.