Current Discrepancy

• Thread starter Opario
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Why would it be an advantage to say that the direction of current in a wire is the "movement" of positive charge, when in fact it is the negative charge on electrons which is moving. And who decided to make that the universal rule, anyway?

And another thing: Isn't the north pole of the earth really the south pole?

Answers and Replies

Why would it be an advantage to say that the direction of current in a wire is the "movement" of positive charge, when in fact it is the negative charge on electrons which is moving. And who decided to make that the universal rule, anyway?
Back before electrons were discovered, they had to make an assumption... 50% chance of being right...

And another thing: Isn't the north pole of the earth really the south pole?
As I recall, the "N" end of a compass needle is termed the "North Seeking" pole.

Since the magnetic poles flip with monotonous regularity, if you hang around long enough the "N" of the compass needle will become the "South Seeking" pole... :biggrin:

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Why would it be an advantage to say that the direction of current in a wire is the "movement" of positive charge, when in fact it is the negative charge on electrons which is moving.
I just find it easier to think about the direction positive charges would move in a circuit, rather than thinking about negative charge motion and continually reminding myself that the voltmeter or ammeter readings need a sign change.

berkeman
Mentor
I just find it easier to think about the direction positive charges would move in a circuit, rather than thinking about negative charge motion and continually reminding myself that the voltmeter or ammeter readings need a sign change.
After you start taking your first solid state physics class, you will probably think more in terms of electron movement. It's physically what's going on, after all, and it turns out not to be very hard to make the mental flip to "positive" current direction.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
After you start taking your first solid state physics class, you will probably think more in terms of electron movement. It's physically what's going on, after all, and it turns out not to be very hard to make the mental flip to "positive" current direction.
In that situation, yes you're absolutely right. It all depends on what you are working on. My first (and only) solid state physics class was about 25 years ago. These days I often work with circuits and meter readings.

When I look at what's going on in diodes and transistors I switch back to the electron point of view, it's easier in terms of understanding the physics as you point out.

Regards,

Mark