Current Division: Find Load Resistor Current for 4 Resistors

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of current division to find the load resistor current for 4 different resistors. The equation used for current division is IL = (I_Norton*R_Norton/(RL + R_Norton)), with the current being multiplied by the resistance of the branch whose current is not wanted divided by the sum of the two branch resistances.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Capture.JPG

Find the load resistor current for 4 different resistors.

Homework Equations

Current Division

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to use current division to find the load resistor current for 4 different resistors, but I am not sure how to apply it here. I have I_norton and R_norton and the RL is also given as one of the resistors (560ohms for example). How can I apply current division here?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the current division is giving you issues? Have you applied the current division equation before? What are the important quantities you need to look at to apply current division?

axmls said:
What about the current division is giving you issues? Have you applied the current division equation before? What are the important quantities you need to look at to apply current division?
I haven't had much experience with it. Looking off an example from my notes, I think this would be it.

I_load= I_N(Rx/(Rx+RN)

Rx being the 560ohm resistor for example. Is that right?

EDIT: changed Rth to RN*******

I'm assuming Rth is your Norton resistor?

This isn't exactly correct, though the form is correct. To see why, let's assume you have the same circuit you have right now, but assume your load resistor is HUGE, and your norton equivalent resistance is small. Then qualitatively, you could see that most of the current would go through the Norton resistor (it's a path of less resistance). Then let's apply your current division equation to this situation to get the current through the load:
$$I_L = I_N \frac{R_L}{R_N + R_L}$$
But notice that this fraction is very close to ##1## (because the load resistor is huge and the Norton resistance is small), so this equation tells us that most of the current from the current source goes through the load, but obviously this can't be correct if the load resistance is much higher than the Norton resistance.

So, you'll have to make a modification to your current division equation.

axmls said:
So, you'll have to make a modification to your current division equation.

IL = (I_Norton*R_Norton/(RL + R_Norton))

Is that correct?

Correct. Just remember that with current division, the current is multiplied by the resistance of the branch whose current you don't want divided by the sum of the two branch resistances. Looking at extreme cases like I did above can help you to remember.

Likes Marcin H

1. What is current division and why is it important?

Current division is a method used to determine the current flowing through multiple resistors connected in series. It is important because it allows us to calculate the individual current values for each resistor, which is necessary for designing and analyzing circuits.

2. How do you calculate the current through a specific resistor in a current division problem?

To calculate the current through a specific resistor, you will need to use the formula I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the total voltage applied to the circuit, and R is the resistance of the specific resistor in question. Once you have the current value, you can use it to analyze the circuit further.

3. Can you use current division for any number of resistors?

Yes, current division can be used for any number of resistors as long as they are connected in series. The formula for current division, I = V/R, can be applied to any number of resistors in a series circuit.

4. What is the difference between current division and voltage division?

Current division and voltage division are two different methods used to analyze circuits. Current division is used to calculate the current flowing through resistors in a series circuit, while voltage division is used to determine the voltage across resistors in a parallel circuit.

5. How do you handle dependent sources in a current division problem?

Dependent sources, such as a voltage-controlled current source, should be treated like normal resistors in a current division problem. You can use the same formula, I = V/R, to calculate the current through a dependent source. However, if the current through the dependent source changes, the current through the other resistors in the circuit will also change accordingly.