1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current due to varying magnetic field.

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In this problem I have to find the current through the section PQ of two loops of wire sharing one side.
    The loop thing is in a uniform magnetic field pointing into the page which varies in based on the equation B=zt where t is in seconds and B is in teslas. z is a constant.
    The wires in this problem have a resistance per length of y ohms/meter. y is a constant.
    The circuit is composed of parts of length a. a is a constant.

|xxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxx| *height is also a

In the above diagram, | and - represent wires. xxxxx represents the uniform magnetic field. .... is for spacing. the right loop is a square with side lengh a. The left loop is a rectange with one side length a and the other side length 2a.

2. Relevant equations
    area of a rectangle: side1 * side2
    flux through a closed loop = magnetic field * area
    emf = change in flux / change in time
    kirchoff's rules

3. The attempt at a solution
    To start, I found the area of each loop.
    area of loop 1 (larger loop) A_1 = 2*a*a =2a^2
    area of loop 2 (smaller loop) A_2 = a*a = a^2
    I then found the rate of change of flux which gives the emf:
    (d\dt)(zt) * A so
    for loop 1 the change in flux is zA_1 = z2a^2
    for loop 2 the changfe in flux is zA_2 =za^2
    I then determined the resistance in a segment of wire with length a:
    R= a*y
    which I can use to find the resistance in the sections of the loops that aren't shared.
    This is 5R for loop 1 and 3R for loop 2.Also the resistance in the shared section is R.
    I then used kirchoff's rules to come up with the equations and currents:
    current 1 = I_1 which runs through loop 1.
    current 2 = I_2 which runs through loop 2.
    current 3 = I_3 which runs through the joined side of loop 1 and 2.
    I1-I2 = I3 since the currents are flowing in opposite directions through PQ.
    emf1 (change in flux for loop 1) - 5RI_1 - RI_3 = 0
    emf2 (change in flux for loop 2) - 3RI_2 + RI_3 = 0 (+RI_3 because the current is flowing against the emf)
    I then expanded, simplified etc which eventually got me
    (3emf_1 -5emf_2)/7R = I_3 which is what I need to solve for except that my answer is wrong. I checked through my manipulations of the equations and I don't see the error but I can't rule out the possibility. So help with regards to where I went wrong in my approach/execution of this problem would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted